scotte161

Default Normal.dot not retaining settings

An end user is experiencing issues with toolbars and add-ins not loading
properly when opening Word 2003. We open word arrange the toolbars to her
liking and close out of Word. Occasionally, when she re-opens Word the
toolbars are correct but more often than not they are jumbled. I have copied
normal.dot from another users pc to see if her's was corrupt and the issue
persists. There is also a custom toolbar that is loaded from Word's startup
folder. This will not always load. Right click on the toolbar and we can
enable it from there. I have even changed the attributes on normal.dot to be
read only so nothing can change it. This does not help either.
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?c2NvdHRlMTYx?=,

Toolbar settings are generally saved in the Registry; although a document can
save some settings, and conflicts between settings saved in a document can
conflict with the "defaults" from the Registry. If the Registry key is damaged,
it's possible the settings changes aren't being saved.

You should find an article on the word.mvps.org site that describes how to
rebuild the Registry keys involved with user settings.

An end user is experiencing issues with toolbars and add-ins not loading
properly when opening Word 2003. We open word arrange the toolbars to her
liking and close out of Word. Occasionally, when she re-opens Word the
toolbars are correct but more often than not they are jumbled. I have copied
normal.dot from another users pc to see if her's was corrupt and the issue
persists. There is also a custom toolbar that is loaded from Word's startup
folder. This will not always load. Right click on the toolbar and we can
enable it from there. I have even changed the attributes on normal.dot to be
read only so nothing can change it.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

scotte161

Thanks Cindy, I actually feel silly because it was something so simple. She
was using Word 2003 as her email editor and when composing emails she would
change toolbars around and that was writing over the normal.dot. The link you
have provided will be helpful in future issues I encounter with Word. Thanks
again.

Template settings TRM Page Layout 1 February 7th 05 11:11 AM
template settings TRM Microsoft Word Help 1 February 2nd 05 04:23 PM
How do I find the normal.dot template so I can make modifications? zunitalks Page Layout 4 January 28th 05 01:31 PM
How can I keep WORD settings (kb customizations, etc.) as 'default mkraft Microsoft Word Help 1 January 8th 05 09:36 PM
Normal.dot - Clearing Tabs MarieC Microsoft Word Help 3 November 26th 04 07:07 AM