Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Guy Lydig Guy Lydig is offline

Default Outline

We have many pages that look like they are outlines but they were not all
typed that way. If a list was typed as a numbered list, I can easily change
it to an outline. However, I have a list where the first level is not typed
using Format | Bullets and Numbering and the second level is typed using a
numbered list. Is there a way I can easily convert the entire psuedo outline
to an actual outline?

E.G.:
1. Level 1 text (Not typed as numbered or outline)
a. Level 2 text (Typed as numbered)
b. Level 2 text (Typed as numbered)
2. Level 1 text (Not typed as numbered or outline)
a. Level 2 text (Typed as numbered)
b. Level 2 text (Typed as numbered)

Ideas?

TIA

Guy
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
aneasiertomorrow aneasiertomorrow is offline

Hi Guy

First thing - which version are you using? This might be easier in 2003
because of the 'select text with similar formatting' option

Second - outline view level is determined by the paragraph outline level of
the style

Third - everyone's favourite format painter should be a great help.

If you have no idea what I'm going on about, post back.

Lucy
--
MOS Master Instructor
South Australia

"Guy Lydig" wrote:

We have many pages that look like they are outlines but they were not all
typed that way. If a list was typed as a numbered list, I can easily change
it to an outline. However, I have a list where the first level is not typed
using Format | Bullets and Numbering and the second level is typed using a
numbered list. Is there a way I can easily convert the entire psuedo outline
to an actual outline?

E.G.:
1. Level 1 text (Not typed as numbered or outline)
a. Level 2 text (Typed as numbered)
b. Level 2 text (Typed as numbered)
2. Level 1 text (Not typed as numbered or outline)
a. Level 2 text (Typed as numbered)
b. Level 2 text (Typed as numbered)

Ideas?

TIA

Guy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Guy Lydig Guy Lydig is offline

Sorry--I'm using 2002

The Format Painter is useless--I've tried.

The problem is, in my example below, where it says Level 1 text, the typist
typed the number and then spaced to the text. In Level 2 text, the typist
used numbering using a, b, c, d.

I want to turn the entire thing into an outline so I can uniformly apply the
outline settings used for all the other outlines I have.

"Guy Lydig" wrote:

We have many pages that look like they are outlines but they were not all
typed that way. If a list was typed as a numbered list, I can easily change
it to an outline. However, I have a list where the first level is not typed
using Format | Bullets and Numbering and the second level is typed using a
numbered list. Is there a way I can easily convert the entire psuedo outline
to an actual outline?

E.G.:
1. Level 1 text (Not typed as numbered or outline)
a. Level 2 text (Typed as numbered)
b. Level 2 text (Typed as numbered)
2. Level 1 text (Not typed as numbered or outline)
a. Level 2 text (Typed as numbered)
b. Level 2 text (Typed as numbered)

Ideas?

TIA

Guy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Define an outline-numbered list linked to a set of styles as described in
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html. Apply the
styles appropriately. You'll need to remove the manual numbering from the
Level 1 style. For Level 2, you should be able to use Select All in the
Styles & Formatting task pane to select all the paragraphs that have the a,
b, c numbering applied; then apply your Level 2 style.