Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pattyt Pattyt is offline

Default Does word have a =Cell("filename", xx)

Hello,
I have a fairly quick question:
Does Word have something similar to Excel's =Cell("filename", a1) function?
I want my word document to display where the document is saved at and be
able to protect it from edits. I do not want to use the footer option
because it can be modified by users, or so I've seen.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Pattyt wrote:
Hello,
I have a fairly quick question:
Does Word have something similar to Excel's =Cell("filename", a1)
function? I want my word document to display where the document is
saved at and be able to protect it from edits. I do not want to use
the footer option because it can be modified by users, or so I've
seen.

Thanks in advance for your help!

No, Word does not have an exact equivalent. You can insert a FileName field
at any point in the document, in the body or a header or footer. And don't
be fooled: users can change _anything_ in Word or in Excel; the only
question is how much effort you want to put into making it more difficult to
change.

If you haven't altered or removed the default set of AutoText entries, the
easiest way to insert the field is to type the words

filename and path

at the point where you want the field, and then press F3.

The other thing different is that unlike Excel, which recalculates its cells
automatically unless you tell it not to, Word doesn't automatically update
its fields. You can force updates by selecting the fields and pressing F9 or
clicking Update Field on the right-click menu; or, if the proper option is
set, by printing or just going to the Print Preview.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman