Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Starbuckeroo Starbuckeroo is offline

Default Choosing Outlook Recipients from a shared contacts folder

Setup: MS Office 2007, Exchange server 2003, Windows 2003 Server, XP
Pro desktop

I have a user that I've given access to her boss' email, contact,
calender, etc... that want to print labels of her boss' contacts. Her
list of outlook recipients does not include the outlook contacts of
her boss even though she can see them in Outlook. I've given her full
permission to his exchange folder in AD, I've explicitly shared his
contacts with her but his contact list still doesn't show up in Word's
outlook recipient list.

What am I missing here?

Thanks in Advance

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

See the "Mailmerge from Outlook" item on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's website
at:

http://www.gmayor.com/mailmerge_from_outlook.htm

Doing it that way may give you more options.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Starbuckeroo" wrote in message
oups.com...
Setup: MS Office 2007, Exchange server 2003, Windows 2003 Server, XP
Pro desktop

I have a user that I've given access to her boss' email, contact,
calender, etc... that want to print labels of her boss' contacts. Her
list of outlook recipients does not include the outlook contacts of
her boss even though she can see them in Outlook. I've given her full
permission to his exchange folder in AD, I've explicitly shared his
contacts with her but his contact list still doesn't show up in Word's
outlook recipient list.

What am I missing here?

Thanks in Advance

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Starbuckeroo Starbuckeroo is offline

Mayors page (mailmerge_from_outlook) is good but doesn't give any
technical details on how the list for contacts in Outlook is
selected. In an enterprise environment I have administrative
assistants who have need of their bosses' contact list. I can get
outlook to show their contacts and their bosses' contacts. But Word
doesn't seem to find their bosses' contact list. Maybe Word doesn't
access Exchange Server? Do you know?
TIA

On Aug 14, 7:18 pm, "Doug Robbins - Word MVP"
wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

If I remember correctly, Graham's page recommends that you initiate the
merge from Outlook, i.e. you open the boss's contact list in Outlook ,select
some records, then use Outlook Tools|Mail Merge... to start the merge.

Since you can get Outlook to show the bosse's contacts, that at least should
be feasible. I just tried it here and it seems to be OK. Does that work for
you?

Using the contact list selection in the Word Mail Merge Wizard is another
question, because that method has never been particularly reliable, and
seems to be much more dependent on how exactly Outlook and Exchange are
configured. However, I did try that here as well, and the shared contact
list did appear and I could use it as the data source for a merge.

So I'm wondering whether I have set this up in a different way from you.
Here, Outlook 2003 is set up in its default configuration (as far as I know)
i.e. in Cached Exchange Mode.

I logged into Windows as TheBoss, opened Outlook, right-clicked my mailbox,
clicked sharing, added the user I wanted to share with (pjj (i.e. me) and
made sure that pjj had at least read permission. Then I did the same for the
Contacts, which seems for some reason to be separate despite being a
subfolder of the mailbox.

Then I logged out, logged in as pjj, opened Outlook, Tools|E-mail
Accounts,|View or change existing e-mail accounts, select Microsoft Exchange
Server, click Change...|More Settings...|Advanced and added TheBoss.

Are you doing it some other way?

Peter Jamieson

ps.com...