Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Brad Brad is offline

Default Moving Index Fields

I placed an index entry marker at the wrong location.

Intuitively, I want to select, cut, and paste the index marker field
{XE...}, but Paste fails.

I then tried to select, copy, and paste the index marker field {XE...}, but
to no avail.

I then tried to paste the field into Notepad and Wordpad to see if anything
would paste, but I got nothing.

Believe it or not, I have even looked in the online Help, but that was not
helpful.

(The utterly simple and efficient work-around is to re-type the index marker
and be done with the issue in 10 seconds, but you know how things go when
goofy (unexpected) things occur in Word, and you try to resolve what's
logical and intuitive with how Word works!)

Please advise. Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you are careful to select the entire field, it should certainly be
possible to cut and paste it or to move it by dragging. Note that XE fields
are formatted as Hidden, so you do have to have Hidden text displayed in
order to see them.

http://word.mvps.org

"Brad" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Brad Brad is offline

Thank you for you quick resonse, Suzanne.

Yes, I can readily see the XE fields and the curly brackets.

I tried various ways of carefully selecting the XE fields:

* Click and drag.
* Click, Shift Right-Arrow (keyboard)
* Search...Special...Field (which conveniently highlights the entire XE field)

I have also tried special Pasting: HTML format, RTF, Unformatted text, but I
did not try all of them.

And, I restarted my computer.

None of the preceding helped.

I'm running Word 2007.

"Brad" wrote in message
[...]

.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Are you having difficulties pasting ordinary text as well in Word?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Brad" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Brad Brad is offline

Generally, no.

I do have problems pasting copying and pasting tables within Word. For some
reason, the default Paste format is HTML. When I manually change that to RTF
Formatted, I can paste tables, for example.

Is there anything I can do to fix the Clipboard, if that's the problem??

"Brad" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

This could be a poorly designed add-in interfering with copy/paste
operations. Did you install something recently?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP