Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Bilbert Bilbert is offline

Default Master Document Issues to Resolve

I am using MS Word 2003 on a server where our users are to access a moastrer
document broken up into subdocuments. We have a customized template, which is
also on the server, applied to the master doc and need it to cascade to the
subdocuments as they are created. The subdocs created all point to normal.dot
on my client.

Also, is there a wat to cascade the autonumbering down to the subdocument
level? Right now it only picks up the numbering at the subdocument level.

Thank in advance for any assistance! Bill
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?QmlsYmVydA==?=,

I am using MS Word 2003 on a server where our users are to access a moastrer
document broken up into subdocuments. We have a customized template, which is
also on the server, applied to the master doc and need it to cascade to the
subdocuments as they are created. The subdocs created all point to normal.dot
on my client.

Also, is there a wat to cascade the autonumbering down to the subdocument
level? Right now it only picks up the numbering at the subdocument level.

Thank in advance for any assistance! Bill

Before you dig yourself into this too deeply... Have you read the
warnings/information on word.mvps.org about Master Documents? I get the feeling,
from reading your message, that you're going to try to do things with it that it
wasn't designed for. And this means you could be in for some nasty surprises...

The numbering should be defined and linked to styles in the template.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Poprivet Poprivet is offline

Bilbert wrote:
I am using MS Word 2003 on a server where our users are to access a
moastrer document broken up into subdocuments. We have a customized
template, which is also on the server, applied to the master doc and
need it to cascade to the subdocuments as they are created. The
subdocs created all point to normal.dot on my client.

Also, is there a wat to cascade the autonumbering down to the
subdocument level? Right now it only picks up the numbering at the
subdocument level.

Thank in advance for any assistance! Bill

Please read up on using Master Documents if you mean the actual Master
Document mode. It's a disaster waiting to happen, MS knows about it, and
either can't or won't fix it. I use it, but ONLY for print-times. I think
ther'es stuff about it he
http://www.word.mvps.org
If not, try Googling for it. It's a buggy feature that can't always do
what it's supposed to do and rather quickly finds the worst time to crash
all your subdocumnets on you without your even knowing it right away.

HTH
Pop`