Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ken L Ken L is offline

Default Word 2007 sometimes slow to open

The problem is sporadic. You can open several word documents without issue
then suddenly when trying to open one it delays for nearly a minute. It is
not any specific document or document type (2003 vs. 2007)

I ran the MS Office diagnostic tool and it reported that there are no
problems.

I ran process explorer and watched the system tasks as Word opened and there
is no difference in when a document opens quickly as opposed to slowly. No
different processes start, just the time delay.

I updated MS Office 2007 to SP1 and applied security patches, problem
persists.

There is nothing in the users
\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Word
or
\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Microsoft\Word\Startup
folders

The system is a Dell XPS laptop with CoreDuo processors and 3.5GB of RAM

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

When you open the document... check the status bar and see if it is trying
to connect with a server that contains the underlying template. If so, you
can press Esc to interrupt that process and load the document immediately.
If you plan to use & reuse that document a good deal, you might also want to
attach a local template.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Ken L" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ken L Ken L is offline

I have not seen this problem when opening a document with Word already
running, it occurs when double clicking a document shortcut.

Ken

"Ken L" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Sambuccus Sambuccus is offline

Hi, I have the same problem with documents attached to a template on a server
that no longer exists. ESC works in Vista and Server 2008 R2 but NOT in
Windows 7. When I open the very same document in Vista and Server 2008 R2 it
takes about 30 sec if I not press ESC.

In Windows 7 the document takes severat minutes and ESC does NOT work.
Any ideas?

Sambuccus

"Ken L" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dave F[_3_] Dave F[_3_] is offline

Default Word and Excell 2003 slow to open

I am also having the same problem but it is with office 2003.

If I have word or excell running and pick "file" "open" and pick a file
there is no problem at all - it opens immediately.

If I am in windows explorer and double click on it, it takes up to a minute
to open the file - this is the same for word or excel.
(Note: this does not include Power Point - It works fine)

This does not occur with any other file type - like .pdf's, .jpg's, etc they
all open immediately.

The problem appears to be with excel and word files only.
This is not files on a network - it is files on my computer.

This just started happening too.
I did not have this problem a couple of weeks ago.

Does anyone have a solution or answer to this?

Thanks

"Ken L" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

See the article "How to re-register Word when problems crop up opening
files€¯ at:
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErr...gisterWord.htm

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

"Ken L" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dave F Dave F is offline

This did not fix the problem.
Still have the same issues with word and excel.
Any other options?

I see a lot of people are having this problem also.
Any Idea what is causing it?