Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
mike

Default Problem Understanding Fonts.

I have a document that was created using W98 and Word 2000. The
document uses a variety of fonts including Magneto, Vagabond, Tubular,
Subway, Rockwell, Old Century ...

I have moved this document to my new computer which uses W XP and Word
2003.

When I select some text of the same font the font type window will tell
me what the font type is. Yet when I use the font type drop down menu,
in this document or in a new document, I do not see any of these fonts.
If I select some text andchange it the new text will retain the font
type of the old text. Yet if I have text in Vagabond i can not change
it to Magneto.

I am very confused about this and would appreciate some explanation.

Thanks for any and all help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Word preserves a record of the names of the fonts used. If a font is not
available, the name is still displayed, but a different (supposedly similar)
font is substituted for display and printing. The substitute font may not
even remotely resemble the intended font and may result in quite a change in
the layout, but at least Word does preserve a record of the original font so
that, if you have the font available, you can install it. I have a folder
full of Available Fonts that I don't install till they're needed for a
project, and I often have to reinstall some of these fonts when I open old
documents.

"mike" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a document that was created using W98 and Word 2000. The
document uses a variety of fonts including Magneto, Vagabond, Tubular,
Subway, Rockwell, Old Century ...

I have moved this document to my new computer which uses W XP and Word
2003.

When I select some text of the same font the font type window will tell
me what the font type is. Yet when I use the font type drop down menu,
in this document or in a new document, I do not see any of these fonts.
If I select some text andchange it the new text will retain the font
type of the old text. Yet if I have text in Vagabond i can not change
it to Magneto.

I am very confused about this and would appreciate some explanation.

Thanks for any and all help.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Tom Ferguson

Suzanne covers the main points.

If you select the text you want to format in the document and open the
font menu, the font will not appear unless it is installed (leaving aside
the particular situation of Printer-resident fonts). However, you can
specify the font by typing its name in the font slot and pressing enter.
A warning will appear about it not bring available on the system, Click
on OK to proceed anyway.

If you navigate to Tools Options Compatibility Font
Substitution , you can see what font is substituted and will be used
for printing.

To use the fonts you list, you will have to locate the files and install
them on your new computer.
-------
Magneto is a Font Bureau font.

Vagabound is probably a variation/clone of VAG. VAG is available from
Linotype and Agfa Monotype, &c.

Tubular is a neon-lettering-like font. I don't know which particular one
you had but some of that type are found here
http://www.free-fonts.com/cgi-bin1/f...search=tubular

Subway is used as a name by more than one font. One such is EFF Subway
http://www.eff.co.uk/M/P/SubLR.htm
Another
http://www.fonts.com/findfonts/detail.htm?pid=418138

Rockwell is likely the font from Adobe, Linotype or the like.

Old Century is likely a variation/clone of Century Old Style.
-------

In any case, you might be able to find the font files on your CDs for
other programs. Possibly you can locate the files on your old computer
and copy them to the new.

Tom
MSMVP
Windows Shell/User