Wim Willemse

Default Merging from Excel into word

By merging numeric data (accounting formatted) from Excel into WORD trailing
zero's are not copied to word.
E.g. € 5,00 becomes € 5, and € 5,20 becomes € 5,2 in WORD.

Strangely enough this happens on my PC in the office. If I merge the same
files on my home PC, de zero's are correctly merged from Excel into the
Word form.

Is there any setting perhaps which I have not discovered yet, which
suppresses the zero's.?

Thank you for your attention.

Wim

Peter Jamieson

Word used to get data from Excel using DDE by default, and numeric
information would come across more or less as it looked in the spreadsheet.
Word 2002 and later use OLEDB by default, and that gets the underlying data,
which does not know how you were displaying your numbers in Excel. You can
either
a. use the old method (Check Word Tools|Options|General|"Confirm conversion
at open", go through the pr ocess of connecting to Excel again, and choose
the DDE option when offered or
b. use numeric format switches (see Word Help for more info), e.g. use
Alt-F9 to display the field codes in Word and change

{ MERGEFIELD mynumber }

{ MERGEFIELD mynumber \#"0.00" }

Peter Jamieson

"Wim Willemse" wrote in message
By merging numeric data (accounting formatted) from Excel into WORD
trailing zero's are not copied to word.
E.g. ? 5,00 becomes ? 5, and ? 5,20 becomes ? 5,2 in WORD.

Strangely enough this happens on my PC in the office. If I merge the same
files on my home PC, de zero's are correctly merged from Excel into the
Word form.

Is there any setting perhaps which I have not discovered yet, which
suppresses the zero's.?

Thank you for your attention.

Wim

Wim Willemse

"Peter Jamieson" schreef in bericht
Word used to get data from Excel using DDE by default, and numeric
information would come across more or less as it looked in the
spreadsheet. Word 2002 and later use OLEDB by default, and that gets the
underlying data, which does not know how you were displaying your numbers
in Excel. You can either
a. use the old method (Check Word Tools|Options|General|"Confirm
conversion at open", go through the pr ocess of connecting to Excel again,
and choose the DDE option when offered or
b. use numeric format switches (see Word Help for more info), e.g. use
Alt-F9 to display the field codes in Word and change

{ MERGEFIELD mynumber }

{ MERGEFIELD mynumber \#"0.00" }

Peter Jamieson

Thank you very much Peter; this explained and solved the problem.
In the office we indeed use word 2002; at home word 2000

Regards Wim

Graham Mayor

http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm covers the
essential differences between 2000 & 2002 and shows how to make the latter
more like the former.