Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jeff[_7_] Jeff[_7_] is offline

Default Setting up a hierarchy of numbered styles

I am having a difficult time finding a "how to" guide for setting up a
numbering styled template in word 2007. I see several tutorials on styles
generally, but I need assistance for lengthy documents that have sections,
subsections, etc. and a need to customize the document. Does anyone know of
any good sources or "how to" guides for setting up these hiearchy's? I need
to go beyond the appearance of the document and into an interconnected
numbering system. I have done this in word 2003 but am having a very
difficult time in 2007.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DeanH DeanH is offline

What you want in Word is called Outline Numbering, see the very informative
article below, as well as the others sections on the same website. The
article may be for 2003 but the process is essentially the same for 2007.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html
Also see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Numbering.htm for more information.
Hope this helps
DeanH

"Jeff" wrote:

I am having a difficult time finding a "how to" guide for setting up a
numbering styled template in word 2007. I see several tutorials on styles
generally, but I need assistance for lengthy documents that have sections,
subsections, etc. and a need to customize the document. Does anyone know of
any good sources or "how to" guides for setting up these hiearchy's? I need
to go beyond the appearance of the document and into an interconnected
numbering system. I have done this in word 2003 but am having a very
difficult time in 2007.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The options for numbering isn't that different in Word 2007, but there might
be a problem finding the correct dialog box. :-(

To edit an outline-numbered list from an older version of Word, place the
insertion point in the first level 1 paragraph of the list, which means the
first Heading 1 paragraph of the document if this is heading numbering. Then
click Home tab Home tab | Multilevel List | Define New
Multilevel List. You are presented with a dialog box similar to the
Customize Outline Numbered List dialog of Word 97-2003 (note that you may
have to click More to see all options). Here you can specify all the options
that you want , and you can link each numbering level to a paragraph style
(which is still recommended, by the way).

When creating a new list in Word 2007, you can use the same steps as above.

Alternatively, you can set up a list style, via Home tab | Multilevel List |
Define New List Style. Type a name for your list style. To see all options
for the list, click Format, Numbering.

The advantage of using a list style is that it can be easily modified via
the Manage Styles dialog box, as you can modify any style in Word 2007. You
should still apply numbering to text by applying the appropriate paragraph
style, though.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP