Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
stephen stephen is offline

Default Any way to lock margins so they can't be changed?

Hi,

Does anyone know of a way to lock the margins in Word 2007 so they can't be
changed?

Thanks a lot for any help one this.

Take care,

Stephen
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
stephen stephen is offline

Hi,

Since no one has answered me, I assume that there is no way to lock margins
so they can't get changed. Too bad. Word used to be good. Now it is
ridiculous. Someone told me that some kind of open office word was great.
Does anyone know if their margins can be locked?

Thanks again.

Stephen

"Stephen" wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone know of a way to lock the margins in Word 2007 so they can't be
changed?

Thanks a lot for any help one this.

Take care,

Stephen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

There are ways to do this, but they would require protecting the entire
document in ways that might make it functionally unusable. Perhaps if you
tell us more about what you're trying to do?

"Stephen" wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone know of a way to lock the margins in Word 2007 so they can't
be
changed?

Thanks a lot for any help one this.

Take care,

Stephen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
stephen stephen is offline

Hi,

When I cut and paste pages (with pictures if that matters) into the
document, it changes the margins of the document. Afterward, I basically
only read the text and look at the pictures (i.e. almost never make changes),
so I don't care if it makes macros, or whatever, unusable.

Thanks for any help I can get.

Stephen

"Stephen" wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone know of a way to lock the margins in Word 2007 so they can't
be
changed?

Thanks a lot for any help one this.

Take care,

Stephen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If the pasted portion includes a section break or the last paragraph mark in
a document, then you are pasting section/document-level formatting. Have you
tried using Paste Special | As Unformatted Text?

"Stephen" wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone know of a way to lock the margins in Word 2007 so they
can't
be
changed?

Thanks a lot for any help one this.

Take care,

Stephen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

What are you pasting from? Another Word document? Or some other source?
Which margins do you want to keep? Those of the destination document? Or
those of the source?
Which version of Word are you using?

We'll need to know those things before we can offer help.

PamC

Stephen wrote:
Hi,

When I cut and paste pages (with pictures if that matters) into the
document, it changes the margins of the document. Afterward, I basically
only read the text and look at the pictures (i.e. almost never make changes),
so I don't care if it makes macros, or whatever, unusable.

Thanks for any help I can get.

Stephen

There are ways to do this, but they would require protecting the entire
document in ways that might make it functionally unusable. Perhaps if you

[quoted text clipped - 23 lines]

Stephen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

And for more on section formatting, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting...thSections.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stephen" wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone know of a way to lock the margins in Word 2007 so they
can't
be
changed?

Thanks a lot for any help one this.

Take care,

Stephen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
stephen stephen is offline

Hi,

I'm pasting two or three pages containing pictures into a Word 2007 document
from another Word 2007 document with the same margins (but which I changed
months ago from default to wide to accommodate the landscape pictures). When
I paste the pages, even though both documents have the same margins, the
second document (being pasted into) goes to awry to default margins for the
pasted pages, which I have to change every time I paste something. I want to
lock in the margins on the second (being pasted into) document so they won't
change. But that doesn't seem possible.

Thanks for any help.

Stephen

Stephen wrote:
Hi,

When I cut and paste pages (with pictures if that matters) into the
document, it changes the margins of the document. Afterward, I basically
only read the text and look at the pictures (i.e. almost never make changes),
so I don't care if it makes macros, or whatever, unusable.

Thanks for any help I can get.

Stephen

There are ways to do this, but they would require protecting the entire
document in ways that might make it functionally unusable. Perhaps if you

[quoted text clipped - 23 lines]

Stephen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Are you saying that, when you paste into a landscape page, the pasted
material shows up on a portrait page? If that's the case, turn on
formatting marks (click the show/hide button), then make sure that you do not
catch any section breaks in your copy selection and that you paste into a
landscape page or area.

I can't tell from your post whether you know this: Landscape and portrait
are page orientations that can have the same margins (the space between the
content/text area and the edge).

PamC

Stephen wrote:
Hi,

I'm pasting two or three pages containing pictures into a Word 2007 document
from another Word 2007 document with the same margins (but which I changed
months ago from default to wide to accommodate the landscape pictures). When
I paste the pages, even though both documents have the same margins, the
second document (being pasted into) goes to awry to default margins for the
pasted pages, which I have to change every time I paste something. I want to
lock in the margins on the second (being pasted into) document so they won't
change. But that doesn't seem possible.

Thanks for any help.

Stephen

What are you pasting from? Another Word document? Or some other source?
Which margins do you want to keep? Those of the destination document? Or

[quoted text clipped - 21 lines]

Stephen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
stephen stephen is offline

Hi,

No, the margins don't go back to portrait. The margins just go awry, off
about an inch to the right (so part of the pictures/graphs can't be seen) for
the 3 or 4 pasted pages. So I have to block the pasted pages and then adjust
the margins.

All of the helpful tips seem to be saying the same thing--"Be careful, how
you paste." Which is not answering the original question. Consequently,
from this, I take it that there is simply no way to lock the margins in a
2007 Word document so that anything I paste into it will have to conform to
those margins.

Obviously, I am careful pasting as it is hassle, blocking and adjusting the
margins several times a day. But no matter how careful I am with section
breaks, etc., it doesn't matter, nothing works.

So thanks for your attempts at trying to help but it is quite obvious to me
by now that no one can lock in margins in a Word 2007 document which can not
be changed, or someone presumably would have said, "Do A, B and C, and that
will lock them." Obviously, if no knows how to do it, then there must be no
way.

Thanks anyway.

Take care,

Stephen

Stephen wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hello Stephen

Stephen wrote:
No, the margins don't go back to portrait. The margins just go awry, off
about an inch to the right (so part of the pictures/graphs can't be seen) for
the 3 or 4 pasted pages. So I have to block the pasted pages and then adjust
the margins.

how do you "block" the pages? I'm not aware of any change to section
properties in Word 2007 compared to earlier versions.

Is this something that has been working for you in earlier versions? Key
is to understand how sections work (Stefan Blom gave you a link for
that), and how pictures (as Inline or Shape "things") are handled by
Word. There are a couple of articles about this item:

http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/DrawingGraphics.htm

HTH
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Your last message gave me, I think, the right clue. The images in the copy-
from document are probably placed in absolute (horizontal) positions to the
right of the column (usually the left margin). This is how Word sets
positions when you drag an image into place, although you can set absolute
positions yourself. You can check the placement of the image in the advanced
layout dialog (right click in an image text wrapping more layout
options.)

When you paste such an image into a different document with different
margins, Word will (usually) retain the image placement settings. So an
image with an absolute setting of, say, 5" to the left of the column, would
show up in the destination doc also at _5" to the left of the column_ even
if that means it would fall off the page.

The solution to your problem is to use relative positioning for the images:
In the advanced layout dialog's horizontal section, click _alignment_ and
select right. And _for relative to_ select column. This will place the
image against the right margin.

Someone else on the list may be able to tell you whether you can record a
macro to ease the task.

HTH,
PamC

Stephen wrote:
[...]

[quoted text clipped - 28 lines]

Stephen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
stephen stephen is offline

Hi,

Thanks for trying to help.

Can you tell me how to find this "advanced layout dialog's horizontal
section." I couldn't find anything remotely like it in Help. Under
"advanced layout," I wasn't sure if I was to be changing margins or a chart?
Again, I'd like to change the margins so that they can't be changed, but
again, this may not be possible in Word 2007.

Thanks again.

Stephen

"Stephen" wrote:

Hi,

Does anyone know of a way to lock the margins in Word 2007 so they can't be
changed?

Thanks a lot for any help one this.

Take care,

Stephen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Right click in an image text wrapping more layout options. The next
thing that pops up will be the Advanced layout dialog.

Also, from the ribbon and with the cursor in an image

picture tools tab (format tab) arrange group position button more
layout options

Good luck,
PamC

Stephen wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for trying to help.

Can you tell me how to find this "advanced layout dialog's horizontal
section." I couldn't find anything remotely like it in Help. Under
"advanced layout," I wasn't sure if I was to be changing margins or a chart?
Again, I'd like to change the margins so that they can't be changed, but
again, this may not be possible in Word 2007.

Thanks again.

Stephen

Hi,

[quoted text clipped - 6 lines]

Stephen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
stephen stephen is offline

Hi,

Thanks for trying to help. I can't believe how complicated this is, for
what seems to me should be quite simple. Am I supposed to right click on the
picture before it is cut and pasted or after? Do I have to do this for every
picture? If so, what is the point? Hopefully, there most be some Control-A
situation.

Also, I can't quite figure what you mean. When I right click on a
picture/graph, my options are Cut, Copy, Paste, Edit Picture (apparently
grayed out), Hyperlink, Insert Caption, Borders and Shading and Format
Picture. Under Format Picture, I found Text Box and Alt-Text but no Text
Wrapping.

Should it matter, what actually happens when I paste, is that the margins in
the second document go from 2 hash marks from each edge (in the blue parts)
to the edges of the middle white part of the ruler and the picture/graph is
then flush left (at the left edge of the white part), so the picture/graph is
about an inch off to the right of the page. This happens every time.

Thanks again for trying.

Take care,

Stephen

Stephen wrote:
Hi,

Thanks for trying to help.

Can you tell me how to find this "advanced layout dialog's horizontal
section." I couldn't find anything remotely like it in Help. Under
"advanced layout," I wasn't sure if I was to be changing margins or a chart?
Again, I'd like to change the margins so that they can't be changed, but
again, this may not be possible in Word 2007.

Thanks again.

Stephen

Hi,

[quoted text clipped - 6 lines]

Stephen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Thanks for trying to help. I can't believe how complicated this is, for
what seems to me should be quite simple. Am I supposed to right click on the
picture before it is cut and pasted or after? Do I have to do this for every
picture? If so, what is the point? Hopefully, there most be some Control-A
situation.

Yes you would need to do this for every picture that has absolute horizontal
positioning. It's pretty much your choice whether you do it in the original
or destination copy. For now I would do it in the original (or copy from)
document. For one thing you need to see if my suggested change will place
the images where you want them.

I'm pretty sure someone on this list could write or help you write a macro to
change all the images in a document. Unfortunately I am not that someone.

Also, I can't quite figure what you mean. When I right click on a
picture/graph, my options are Cut, Copy, Paste, Edit Picture (apparently
grayed out), Hyperlink, Insert Caption, Borders and Shading and Format
Picture. Under Format Picture, I found Text Box and Alt-Text but no Text
Wrapping.

That must mean that your images are in text boxes. In that case you need to
adjust the text box position. So...
Using right click:
Click the text box edge to select it right click the edge Format text box
Advance button.

Using the ribbon:
Click the text box edge to select it text box tools ribbon Position
button More layout options picture position tab.

Then you'll be in the advance layout dialog.

HTH,

PamC

Should it matter, what actually happens when I paste, is that the margins in
the second document go from 2 hash marks from each edge (in the blue parts)
to the edges of the middle white part of the ruler and the picture/graph is
then flush left (at the left edge of the white part), so the picture/graph is
about an inch off to the right of the page. This happens every time.

Thanks again for trying.

Take care,

Stephen

Right click in an image text wrapping more layout options. The next
thing that pops up will be the Advanced layout dialog.

[quoted text clipped - 27 lines]

Stephen