Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Mr Ranger Mr Ranger is offline

Default Office Word 2003 Can't Open .TIF Files in Vista

I opened and used some of these files previously on XP but in Vista they
are not being read properly and appear as a bunch of "yyyyyyy"'s. Any
suggestions?

Thanks,
Mr Ranger
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules[_2_] JoAnn Paules[_2_] is offline

Why are you opening a picture with a word processor? You can "insert" in a
Word doc them but don't "open" them.

--

JoAnn Paules
Microsoft MVP - Publisher

How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

"Mr Ranger" wrote in message
I opened and used some of these files previously on XP but in Vista they
are not being read properly and appear as a bunch of "yyyyyyy"'s. Any
suggestions?

Thanks,
Mr Ranger

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Mr Ranger Mr Ranger is offline

"JoAnn Paules" wrote in
:

Why are you opening a picture with a word processor? You can "insert"
in a Word doc them but don't "open" them.

The file is a Text only document. I can open the .TIF file with "Microsoft
Office Document Imaging", yet not with "Word".

Mr Ranger

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules[_2_] JoAnn Paules[_2_] is offline

Doesn't matter - a .tif is a picture regardless of content. If you want to
edit the text, then use the OCR software in ODI to convert it.

--

JoAnn Paules
Microsoft MVP - Publisher

How to ask a question
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555375

"Mr Ranger" wrote in message
"JoAnn Paules" wrote in
:

Why are you opening a picture with a word processor? You can "insert"
in a Word doc them but don't "open" them.

The file is a Text only document. I can open the .TIF file with "Microsoft
Office Document Imaging", yet not with "Word".

Mr Ranger

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Word can't open graphics files directly, regardless of what it's a picture
of. You can insert a .tif into a Word file... but it will show up as a
picture, not as text. As JoAnn indicates, if you want to use the contents
of the .tif as text, you'll need to use something like optical character
recognition (OCR) to convert the picture to text. Microsoft Office Document
Imaging (in Microsoft Office Tools) can do this for you... usually pretty
well, but not quite as well as stand-alone OCR programs.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Mr Ranger" wrote in message
"JoAnn Paules" wrote in
:

Why are you opening a picture with a word processor? You can "insert"
in a Word doc them but don't "open" them.

The file is a Text only document. I can open the .TIF file with "Microsoft
Office Document Imaging", yet not with "Word".

Mr Ranger

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Mr Ranger Mr Ranger is offline

Thanks for all the help.

Mr Ranger

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote in
:

Word can't open graphics files directly, regardless of what it's a
picture of. You can insert a .tif into a Word file... but it will show
up as a picture, not as text. As JoAnn indicates, if you want to use
the contents of the .tif as text, you'll need to use something like
optical character recognition (OCR) to convert the picture to text.
Microsoft Office Document Imaging (in Microsoft Office Tools) can do
this for you... usually pretty well, but not quite as well as
stand-alone OCR programs.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules[_2_] JoAnn Paules[_2_] is offline

I've been using ODI at work and Text Bridge (part of an older version of
PaperPort) at home. Text Bridge works much better. I've been taking work
home to scan in and convert instead of doing it at work with .tifs and ODI.
Since I don't get paid for doing work at home, this should tell you that
there's enough of a difference to make it worth my while.

--

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote in message
Word can't open graphics files directly, regardless of what it's a picture
of. You can insert a .tif into a Word file... but it will show up as a
picture, not as text. As JoAnn indicates, if you want to use the contents
of the .tif as text, you'll need to use something like optical character
recognition (OCR) to convert the picture to text. Microsoft Office
Document Imaging (in Microsoft Office Tools) can do this for you...
usually pretty well, but not quite as well as stand-alone OCR programs.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com