Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JRR JRR is offline

Default Cross reference including wrong information

I have a problem with cross references. Occassionally the cross reference
will expand to include the wrong information.

For example, I have a document that has a cross reference to a header, say
the 1.1 heading type.

As I edit the document, I may add text above the header or below the header.
On occassion when I refresh the cross references (select all, F9) I find that
the cross reference that was just the heading now includes text from the
paragraph that immediately follows the heading, or in some cases from the
paragraph that preceeds the heading.

This has caused problems in our organization, such that many are
recommending we don't use X-Refs in our documents (which brings a slew of
other headaches).

Any suggestion on how to avoid this problem?

Thanks in advance,

-=John