Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
frigal frigal is offline

Default Table of content from multiple files

Hi,

I'm working on multiple word documents that I cannot gather because they are
too heavy, but I need to create a common Table of content for all these
files, or at least insert the tables of content of each file in a single word
document.

Does anyone know a solution?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Frigal.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi frigal,

Too 'heavy', huh?

You can create a common TOC for all the files by inserting a TOC field into a suitable document and adding RD fields pointing to
each of the source documents. See Word's Help file for more details.

--
Cheers
macropod

"frigal" wrote in message ...
Hi,

I'm working on multiple word documents that I cannot gather because they are
too heavy, but I need to create a common Table of content for all these
files, or at least insert the tables of content of each file in a single word
document.

Does anyone know a solution?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Frigal.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
frigal frigal is offline

Hi macropod,

Thank you for your quick reply.

My files are to heavy for regulatory purposes (50Mb).

I went to the help section of MS Word, but I'm certainly not doing things
properly since I have an Error message instead of a TOC:
Error! Cannot open file referenced on page 1

Here is the fields I included in the document that should contain my TOC:
{ TOC \* MERGEFORMAT }
{ RD "\\path\filename.doc"}

Do I need to index my Headings in the referenced document? I haven't done
anything to that document, is referencing automatic or should I referenced it
somehow?

Frigal.

"frigal" wrote in message ...
Hi,

I'm working on multiple word documents that I cannot gather because they are
too heavy, but I need to create a common Table of content for all these
files, or at least insert the tables of content of each file in a single word
document.

Does anyone know a solution?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Frigal.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
macropod[_2_] macropod[_2_] is offline

Hi frigal,

You need to use double backslashes (ie '\\'') or single forward slashes (ie '/') as the path separators. Single backslashes won't
work.

--
Cheers
macropod