Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul Paul is offline

Default Seach doesn't find reference number

I wrote a paper with lots of citations to other works, all of which
are detailed in a References section. When I search for (say)
"[13]" (without quotes), I locate the citations in the body of the
report. But I don't find the reference listed in the References
section, even though it starts with "[13]". I understand that there
are machinations at work under th surface (variables, field codes,
things that I'd rather not have to deal with in a wysiwyg
environment), but does the Word 2003 search facility not search based
on the text as seen by the user rather than the underlying code?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Henk57[_234_] Henk57[_234_] is offline

Paul;2965109 Wrote:
I wrote a paper with lots of citations to other works, all of which
are detailed in a References section. When I search for (say)
"[13]" (without quotes), I locate the citations in the body of the
report. But I don't find the reference listed in the References
section, even though it starts with "[13]". I understand that there
are machinations at work under th surface (variables, field codes,
things that I'd rather not have to deal with in a wysiwyg
environment), but does the Word 2003 search facility not search based
on the text as seen by the user rather than the underlying code?

The search by default only searches the body text. Your references are
likely end notes, and these are not found. You can search for text in
footnotes (end notes), headers/footers and text boxes, but then select
(after Ctrl-F) the appropriate "Highlight all items found in:" (in Word
2002; something similar shd be in Word 2003).

--
Henk57