Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
RG RG is offline

Default Using Word Mail Merge with an .xls file to create mailing labels

Hi. Ive been successfully using Word Mail Merge using an .xls input file to
create mass mailings of letters for years. Now I need to use Mail Merge
create labels, and my many attempts to follow the Mail Merge wizard
step-by-step to do this have all failed.

Up to now Ive simply typed in mailing label data into a .doc that uses the
Avery 5161 label template, and then printed it. Thats been OK, but I need
to use Mail Merge now.

To date, my successful use of Word Mail Merge for letters has been like this:

1) I start with a .doc that looks like this:

September 5, 2007

«Title»
«Company_Name»
«Street»

Dear «First_Name»,

Etc€¦

2) Then as input to the Mail Merge, I use an .xls with column headings:

Now Id like to use Mail Merge to generate one label for each line in the
..xls.

The closest Ive gotten to success in experimenting with the Wizard is to
get a full page of 20 labels generated for every line in the .xls. Thats
obviously wrong; I need ONE label per line in the .xls, filling up the .doc
pages with 20 different labels on each page (using the Avery 5161 template).

This is a crucial priority for my business, and I need to get this done in
any way possible, ASAP.

Many thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

The label layout is a table, typically with one cell for each label
(sometimes there are "spacer" cells as well, so I call the ones that
actually have fields in them "label cells".

You need one set of the fields you want to print in each label cell.

Each label cell except the first on the page should have a { NEXT } (Next
record field).

In Word 2002 and later, you can get that layout by putting the fields you
want in the first label cell, then using the Propagate labels function to
fill up the other label cells and add the necessary { NEXT } fields. But
there can be problems with tablet PCs and perhaps on Windows Vista, so if
necessary, try the propagate label macros at
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk/t0005.htm

You need to merge the labels to the printer, or to an output document which
you can then print. If you just preview the labels oruse the regular Word
File|Print function to print, you will not get the correct results.

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"RG" wrote in message
[...]

«Zip»

Now Id like to use Mail Merge to generate one label for each line in the
.xls.

The closest Ive gotten to success in experimenting with the Wizard is to
get a full page of 20 labels generated for every line in the .xls. Thats
obviously wrong; I need ONE label per line in the .xls, filling up the
.doc
pages with 20 different labels on each page (using the Avery 5161
template).

This is a crucial priority for my business, and I need to get this done in
any way possible, ASAP.

Many thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

See http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm or
http://www.gmayor.com/merge_labels_with_word_2007.htm

RG wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
OnlineLabels OnlineLabels is offline

You can read an article mail merging with Excel and Word at the link
below.

http://www.onlinelabels.com/mail_merged_labels.htm

You may to consider purchasing our OL75WX - 4" x 1" labels instead of
Avery 5161. Our OL75WX is similar to the layout of Avery 5161, but is
significantly less expensive. You can check out pricing at the link
below.

http://www.onlinelabels.com/ol75.htm

Dave Carmany
OnlineLabels.com
CLICK. PRINT. STICK
http://www.onlinelabels.com
Blank Labels for laser and inkjet printers

On Sep 5, 3:39 am, "Graham Mayor" wrote:
Seehttp://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_labels_with_word_xp.htmorhttp://www.gmayor.com/merge_labels_with_word_2007.htm

My web sitewww.gmayor.com
Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org

RG wrote:
[...]