Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
kauaibob

Default Garbage in All Word Docs

When I open my doc's they have some weird language. It has the proper
indenting and bolding and underlines in it. My settings are all proper. I
open them the right way (ie. not with field codes), the language is correct,
etc. I can print the doc and it prints just fine in English. I can save the
doc as a text file and it saves fine as a text file. When I open it as text
it is English, in text, with all of the formatting gone, of course. The
problem is in Courier 12. If I highlite the whole doc and change the font
size to 14, problem solved. If I do the same and go back to 12 I get the
strange language again. If I change the font, problem solved. When I try to
change the font back to Courier, I can't, as there is no Courier font, only
Courier New. If I change it to Courier New it is okay and in English again.
So on all of my Word Docs which are all in Courier 12, I will have to change
them all to Courier New. Anyone have this problem before and know of a
quicker fix??
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
garfield-n-odie

Because you don't have the Courier font installed, Word will try
to substitute another font for Courier. Apparently, the
substituted font is "some weird language". In Word, open a
document that has this problem, click on Tools | Options |
Compatibility | Font Substitution, and tell Word what font you
want it to substitute for Courier.

kauaibob wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
kauaibob

Thanks garfield-n-odie .. that works.
Since this only resolves the issue in each document, meaning I have to do
this routine for each document, shouldn't I be able to locate the old
"courier" font and somehow load it in so that it resolves my problem globally
in Word ??
Can you advise on where and how to do that ??

Thanks again !!

kauaibob wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
garfield-n-odie

Microsoft has never included the Courier font with any of its
products. You possibly got Courier from a non-Microsoft program,
or maybe with a HP Laserjet printer driver. If you can determine
the source of the font, then you can reinstall the font from that
source. Or if you have access to a computer that has the Courier
font installed, then (copyright issues aside) you might copy the
font file from the C:\Windows\Fonts folder in that computer to
the corresponding folder in your computer.

kauaibob wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
kauaibob

to: garfield-n-odie