Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
donbarbituo donbarbituo is offline

Default Default document location in Word Viewer 2003

I'd like to change the default document location in Word Viewer 2003 from "My
Documents"--these are public access terminals, and people will either be
opening from a removable drive or directly from the web. Since I have
limited write access to the C: drive, the user gets an error if they try to
start the viewer. Ideally, I'd like to have the default as either My
Computer or even Desktop.

Excel 2003 and PowerPoint 2007 viewers default to Desktop (at least they go
there without the error message).

Many thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The default file location is set at tools options file locations
documents. You can set the location to the desktop that the user will see.

donbarbituo wrote:
I'd like to change the default document location in Word Viewer 2003
from "My Documents"--these are public access terminals, and people
will either be opening from a removable drive or directly from the
web. Since I have limited write access to the C: drive, the user
gets an error if they try to start the viewer. Ideally, I'd like to
have the default as either My Computer or even Desktop.

Excel 2003 and PowerPoint 2007 viewers default to Desktop (at least
they go there without the error message).

Many thanks.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
donbarbituo donbarbituo is offline

That may be the case in Word, but in the viewer, there is no file location
option. I think a registry hack is the only way to go here. Microsoft
posted one for the earlier version of the reader, but it doesn't work for
this one.