Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Howard J Howard J is offline

Default Opening Templates window

In older versions of Word, clicking "New" (or was it "New..."?) would open
the templates window. Now I get the New Document task pane with lots of
optiosn which I'm not interested in. The only other choice appears to be to
open a blank document.

Is there any way of reverting to the old method of opening the templates
window without first going through the task pane?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Replace the New button on the toolbar/menu with the FileNewDialog button.
See also http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...owTaskPane.htm

Howard J wrote:
In older versions of Word, clicking "New" (or was it "New..."?) would
open the templates window. Now I get the New Document task pane
with lots of optiosn which I'm not interested in. The only other
choice appears to be to open a blank document.

Is there any way of reverting to the old method of opening the
templates window without first going through the task pane?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Howard J Howard J is offline

That very nearly solves the problem. The trouble is, the templates window is
now an option on a pull-down menu, instead of an option in the task pane. it
still takes two clicks where it used to take one.

Howard J wrote:
In older versions of Word, clicking "New" (or was it "New..."?) would
open the templates window. Now I get the New Document task pane
with lots of optiosn which I'm not interested in. The only other
choice appears to be to open a blank document.

Is there any way of reverting to the old method of opening the
templates window without first going through the task pane?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cheryl Flanders Cheryl Flanders is offline

You don't need the mouse at all. Assign a keyboard shortcut to the
FileNewDialog command in Tools/Customize/Keyboard.

Cheryl

See alsohttp://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/ShowTaskPane.htm

My web sitewww.gmayor.com
Word MVP web sitehttp://word.mvps.org

Howard J wrote:
In older versions of Word, clicking "New" (or was it "New..."?) would
open the templates window. Now I get the New Document task pane
with lots of optiosn which I'm not interested in. The only other
choice appears to be to open a blank document.

Is there any way of reverting to the old method of opening the
templates window without first going through the task pane?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The command you want is neither FileNew (the old New...) nor FileNewDefault
but FileNewDialog. See
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/C...ngWord2002.htm for further
instructions.

"Howard J" wrote in message
In older versions of Word, clicking "New" (or was it "New..."?) would open
the templates window. Now I get the New Document task pane with lots of
optiosn which I'm not interested in. The only other choice appears to be

open a blank document.

Is there any way of reverting to the old method of opening the templates
window without first going through the task pane?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Dawn Crosier, Word MVP Dawn Crosier, Word MVP is offline

Howard -

In addition to the other methods that have been mentioned, you can add
the "New Document or Template" command to your Quick Access Toolbar.
Click the down arrow to the right of the Quick Access Toolbar.
Select More Commands
Change the combo box at from "Popular Commands" to "All Commands"
Click into the lower portion of the dialog box and type an "N" to jump
to the commands which begin with N.
Locate "New Document or Template..."
Click the Add button
Click the OK button

Now when you click that button on your QAT - the dialog box will open
showing any custom templates as well as the Microsoft templates in
tabbed form. The only problem that I have with this solution is that it
is not possible to modify the icon to indicate that it is different from
the "New" command.

Good Luck.

--
Dawn Crosier
Microsoft MVP

"Howard J" wrote in message
:

In older versions of Word, clicking "New" (or was it "New..."?) would open
the templates window. Now I get the New Document task pane with lots of
optiosn which I'm not interested in. The only other choice appears to be to
open a blank document.

Is there any way of reverting to the old method of opening the templates
window without first going through the task pane?

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
9/26/2007 12:12 PM

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Howard J Howard J is offline

That sounds very helpful. However I can't find anything called a "Quick
Access Toolbar". It's not in my list of available toolbars.

"Howard J" wrote in message
:

In older versions of Word, clicking "New" (or was it "New..."?) would open
the templates window. Now I get the New Document task pane with lots of
optiosn which I'm not interested in. The only other choice appears to be to
open a blank document.

Is there any way of reverting to the old method of opening the templates
window without first going through the task pane?

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
9/26/2007 12:12 PM

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The QAT is a new feature in Word 2007--the only remnant of the vast
customization possibilities of earlier versions. Be glad you have Word
2002/2003 and can use the instructions at
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/C...ngWord2002.htm to put the File
New dialog back on the toolbar!

"Howard J" wrote in message
:

In older versions of Word, clicking "New" (or was it "New..."?) would

open
the templates window. Now I get the New Document task pane with lots

of
optiosn which I'm not interested in. The only other choice appears to

be to
open a blank document.

Is there any way of reverting to the old method of opening the

templates
window without first going through the task pane?

Checked by AVG Free Edition.

9/25/2007 8:02 AM

Checked by AVG Free Edition.
9/26/2007 12:12 PM