Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Kathy Shively Kathy Shively is offline

Default Footers - need last page no footer

I have a simple document with footers on each page, and using the page of
page insert. The last page is an Exhibit and I do not want the footer to
show nor do I want the page of page in the previous pages to say page 1 of 7
when actually it is page 1 of 6. How can I correct this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Insert a section break between the last and next-to-last pages and use a
SectionPages field instead of NumPages for the Y of Page X of Y (press
Alt+F9 to display the field code and just edit NUMPAGES to say
SECTIONPAGES).

Then, in the Section 2 footer, click the Link to Previous/Same as Previous
button to turn it off, unlinking that footer from the previous one, and
delete the content.

"Kathy Shively" Kathy wrote in message
I have a simple document with footers on each page, and using the page of
page insert. The last page is an Exhibit and I do not want the footer to
show nor do I want the page of page in the previous pages to say page 1 of

7
when actually it is page 1 of 6. How can I correct this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Kathy Shively wrote:
I have a simple document with footers on each page, and using the
page of page insert. The last page is an Exhibit and I do not want
the footer to show nor do I want the page of page in the previous
pages to say page 1 of 7 when actually it is page 1 of 6. How can I
correct this?

Here's one way (there are others, involving a section break between the main
text and the exhibit):

When you press Alt+F9 to toggle all field codes, you'll see that your
current footer says

Page {PAGE} of {NUMPAGES}

First modify the {NUMPAGES} field to display one less than the actual number
of pages: Type an equal sign to its left and the expression - 1 to its
right:

Page {PAGE} of = {NUMPAGES} - 1

Select from the equal sign to the 1 and press Ctrl+F9 to make a field with
that text inside:

Page {PAGE} of {= {NUMPAGES} - 1}

Now surround the whole thing with double quotes, and type to the left of it
to make this:

IF PAGE = NUMPAGES "" "Page {PAGE} of {= {NUMPAGES} - 1}"

Select the word PAGE and press Ctrl+F9 to make it a field; do the same with
NUMPAGES. The characters in the middle are two double-quotes with nothing
between them. Now you have

IF {PAGE} = {NUMPAGES} "" "Page {PAGE} of {= {NUMPAGES} - 1}"

Finally, select the whole thing and press Ctrl+F9 once mo

{IF {PAGE} = {NUMPAGES} "" "Page {PAGE} of {= {NUMPAGES} - 1}"}

Press Alt+F9 to collapse the field codes, and press F9 to update the field.
It should behave as you asked.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman