Posted to microsoft.public.mac.office.word,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.programming

Default Temporary files for grammar check?

A while ago, users of the German version of Word had the problem that
their desktop was being cluttered with unwanted files called
NLPGERMAN.log (see
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...4c5 eb024cec5).
These files contained grammatical information about the texts that the
users were currently editing (e.g. part-of-speech information).
Obviously, everybody wanted these files to disappear - but I'd actually
like to find them. ;-) As a linguist, I'm interested in the grammatical
analysis provided by Word and if I could get access to this type of
(invisible) temporary files, this would be very helpful indeed. Does
anybody have any idea where Word saves this information internally and
whether there is a way to reveal it?
Thanks in advance!
Sebastian

Posted to microsoft.public.mac.office.word,microsoft.public.word.docmanagement,microsoft.public.word.programming
John McGhie [MVP - Word and Word Macintosh]

Hi Sebastian:

I am going to take a wild guess and say that the files in question were
produced by a debugging statement that was inadvertently left in the
shipping application.

I don't think that the shipping application was ever meant to produce the
file, and I doubt that it does, let alone store it anywhere. Without
knowing how the grammar application is designed, it may not tell you much
:-)

You would need to run the original German version of the application without
any updates to see it.

If you do, you may wish to avoid publishing it to the Internet as these
people seem to have done:
http://lmu.web.psi.ch/facilities/gpd/NLPGERMAN.log

Cheers

On 29/6/06 11:11 PM, in article
,
" wrote:

A while ago, users of the German version of Word had the problem that
their desktop was being cluttered with unwanted files called
NLPGERMAN.log (see
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...e_frm/thread/1
071001670e4ea0d/eaa04c5eb024cec5?lnk=st&q=NLPGERMAN&rnum=2#eaa04c5 eb024cec5).
These files contained grammatical information about the texts that the
users were currently editing (e.g. part-of-speech information).
Obviously, everybody wanted these files to disappear - but I'd actually
like to find them. ;-) As a linguist, I'm interested in the grammatical
analysis provided by Word and if I could get access to this type of
(invisible) temporary files, this would be very helpful indeed. Does
anybody have any idea where Word saves this information internally and
whether there is a way to reveal it?
Thanks in advance!
Sebastian

me unless I ask you to.

John McGhie
Microsoft MVP, Word and Word for Macintosh. Consultant Technical Writer
Sydney, Australia +61 (0) 4 1209 1410