Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Devonshire Devonshire is offline

Default Outline Numbering Question

In Word 2007 I click on the outline numbering button on the Home toolbar and
then that formatting only works on just that one line. How do I get that
Outline Numbering to persist when I hit return? It is very aggravating to
have to reformat and then correct the indent for each new line over and over
and over...

I want to hit return to add another line in the outline and still be in the
outline formatting at the same indent level. How???

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Aeneas Aeneas is offline

Whether you click the Bullets button, the Numbering button or the Multilevel
List button on the Home tab, in the Paragraph group, make sure you only press
ENTER once.

When you press ENTER once at the end of a list item, the automatic
numbering/bulleting creates the next sequential entry at the same level; if
you havent typed anything after the automatic number/bullet and press ENTER
once, you get an empty paragraph formatted with the Normal style

When you press ENTER twice:
If you are at the top level, you create an empty paragraph formatted with
the Normal style

"Devonshire" wrote:

In Word 2007 I click on the outline numbering button on the Home toolbar and
then that formatting only works on just that one line. How do I get that
Outline Numbering to persist when I hit return? It is very aggravating to
have to reformat and then correct the indent for each new line over and over
and over...

I want to hit return to add another line in the outline and still be in the
outline formatting at the same indent level. How???

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"Aeneas" wrote:

Whether you click the Bullets button, the Numbering button or the Multilevel
List button on the Home tab, in the Paragraph group, make sure you only press
ENTER once.

Yes that is what I am doing. I HAVE NOT HIT ENTER TWICE.

AS soon as I hit enter (once), then the outline formatting is gone. I'm
expecting to see what you are describing, but it isn't happening.

The really odd thing is that as soon as I hit enter to create a new line, a
page break is being entered below that new line. I can see the dotted page
break indication in the "Draft" view and the page break line is difficult to
delete/remove. I'm guessing that this is governed by some global setting
somewhere? Right now I have a title at the top of page 1 and a page break
just below it ( Page 1 with a title at the top and all the text on the next
page). If I place the cursor at the end of that title line at the top and
hit the delete key it removes the page break and pulls the first line of the
outline up into the title. If I hit return it places the text back on the
next line without the outline formatting. If I then hit the outline format
button, it adds a page break above it. It also creates a paragraph style
that has 24pts of space before the paragraph which is also odd...

How do I set the paragraph behaviors that do what I want it to??? And also
so it will be there in the next new document without haveing to
recreact/correct such odd formatting?

When you press ENTER once at the end of a list item, the automatic
numbering/bulleting creates the next sequential entry at the same level;

It's not doing this; that is exactly what I want it to do. What's curious
is that it only works that way in the "Outline" View. I would like this
phenomenon to occur in the "Page Layout" view as well.

"Devonshire" wrote:

In Word 2007 I click on the outline numbering button on the Home toolbar and
then that formatting only works on just that one line. How do I get that
Outline Numbering to persist when I hit return? It is very aggravating to
have to reformat and then correct the indent for each new line over and over
and over...

I want to hit return to add another line in the outline and still be in the
outline formatting at the same indent level. How???

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Aeneas Aeneas is offline

What I described is what happens when the document template attached to the
document (normal.dotm by default) has its default settings.

If I were you, I'd close Word, rename normal.dotm (Documents and
Settings\Username\Application Data\Microsoft\Templates in XP;
Users\username\appdata\roaming\Microsoft\templates in Vista) to something
like normalold.dotm and reopen Word -- a clean normal.dotm will be created
the next time you open Word. So long as you create a document based on this
normal.dotm, the behavior of lists created by clicking any of the 3 list
buttons will be just as I described.

"Devonshire" wrote:

"Aeneas" wrote:

Whether you click the Bullets button, the Numbering button or the Multilevel
List button on the Home tab, in the Paragraph group, make sure you only press

"Devonshire" wrote:

In Word 2007 I click on the outline numbering button on the Home toolbar and
then that formatting only works on just that one line. How do I get that
Outline Numbering to persist when I hit return? It is very aggravating to
have to reformat and then correct the indent for each new line over and over
and over...

I want to hit return to add another line in the outline and still be in the
outline formatting at the same indent level. How???

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Devonshire Devonshire is offline

as described I have Vista.

I renamed the Normal.dot file as described and when I either open a new
document or open the one in question, it still does not work as described...
Word 2007 is automatically recreating a new normal.dot file as a new one
appeared in my user folder next to the renamed file.

I tried again and just deleted the normal.dot file and still the same
frustrating phenonenon...

There has to be some sort of global setting or that the style is being
automatically updated/modifyied somehow.... ? Help!

"Devonshire" wrote:

"Aeneas" wrote:

Whether you click the Bullets button, the Numbering button or the Multilevel
List button on the Home tab, in the Paragraph group, make sure you only press

"Devonshire" wrote:

In Word 2007 I click on the outline numbering button on the Home toolbar and
then that formatting only works on just that one line. How do I get that
Outline Numbering to persist when I hit return? It is very aggravating to
have to reformat and then correct the indent for each new line over and over
and over...

I want to hit return to add another line in the outline and still be in the
outline formatting at the same indent level. How???

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Aeneas Aeneas is offline

One further thought:

If you are clicking the Multilevel List button and clicking one of the last
4 thumbnails, you will apply the Heading 1 linked style to the paragraph;
when you press ENTER the Normal style will be applied to the following
paragraph. If you want to add another list item, you'll need to click the
Multilevel List button and click the same thumbnail. You can demote the
heading if you wish.

If you want every paragraph numbered, click the Numbering button and select
the thumbnail you want.