T Brown

Default Why are there extra blank lines in my header and footnotes?

I'm editing a Word document. My two-line header keeps 'growing' to have
several blank lines after the end of the title information -- which I have to
edit out. I have a single footnote in my document, and that's suddenly
acquired three or four blank lines *before* it, which I can't edit out at all
-- leaving an inconvenient white space and throwing out the layout.
What is causing this? How can I fix it?

Assuming there are no actual empty paragraphs in either header or footnotes,
the most likely cause is that the vertical alignment (Layout tab of Page
Setup) has gotten set to Center and either the page is not full or there are
several "Keep with next" paragraphs toward the end. See
http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/BottomLine.htm

"T Brown" T Brown @discussions.microsoft.com wrote in message
I'm editing a Word document. My two-line header keeps 'growing' to have
several blank lines after the end of the title information -- which I have

edit out. I have a single footnote in my document, and that's suddenly
acquired three or four blank lines *before* it, which I can't edit out at

all
-- leaving an inconvenient white space and throwing out the layout.
What is causing this? How can I fix it?

T Brown

Apologies: I didn't make it clear, but there *are* additional empty
paragraphs (4 of them) appearing after the 'footnote divider' but before the
first footnote -- and after the last text in the header. I can edit out the
ones in the header, but I can't work out how to edit the ones in the footnote
- eventually I ended up removing it altogether!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Assuming there are no actual empty paragraphs in either header or footnotes,
the most likely cause is that the vertical alignment (Layout tab of Page
Setup) has gotten set to Center and either the page is not full or there are
several "Keep with next" paragraphs toward the end. See
http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/BottomLine.htm

"T Brown" T Brown @discussions.microsoft.com wrote in message
I'm editing a Word document. My two-line header keeps 'growing' to have
several blank lines after the end of the title information -- which I have

edit out. I have a single footnote in my document, and that's suddenly
acquired three or four blank lines *before* it, which I can't edit out at

all
-- leaving an inconvenient white space and throwing out the layout.
What is causing this? How can I fix it?

In Normal view, go to View | Footnotes. In the footnote pane, choose
Footnote Separator and delete the empty paragraphs.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Assuming there are no actual empty paragraphs in either header or

footnotes,
the most likely cause is that the vertical alignment (Layout tab of Page
Setup) has gotten set to Center and either the page is not full or there

are
several "Keep with next" paragraphs toward the end. See
http://home.earthlink.net/~wordfaqs/BottomLine.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"T Brown" T Brown @discussions.microsoft.com wrote in message
I'm editing a Word document. My two-line header keeps 'growing' to

have
several blank lines after the end of the title information -- which I

have
edit out. I have a single footnote in my document, and that's suddenly
acquired three or four blank lines *before* it, which I can't edit out

at
all
-- leaving an inconvenient white space and throwing out the layout.
What is causing this? How can I fix it?

Flowing different lines in a header for a TOC Geoff C Tables 5 March 14th 05 08:12 AM
Header changes with text outside of header Connie Martin Microsoft Word Help 3 February 22nd 05 06:58 PM
Table headers Sam Hobbs New Users 12 December 20th 04 07:18 PM
Same header but even/odd footer (sorry for the new thread) B?atrice Karjalainen Page Layout 1 December 16th 04 12:40 AM
Why do I get a large blank space within my Word table? Todd F. Tables 1 November 4th 04 07:05 PM