Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
lilhoward88 lilhoward88 is offline

Default Microsoft Office 2007: Word Outline

When I used to make outlines with word I could press the enter button and it
would automatically format the next line of the outline for me. All of a
sudden it dosen't do that anymore. When I press the enter button it just
goes to the next line with not outline format at all. I use Word to make
outlines A LOT, and its getting pretty annoying, can someone tell me how to
fix this?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Is this an outline with heading styles (which is what you get if you choose,
for example, the "1 Heading 1 1.1 Heading 2 1.1.1 Heading 3" list format
found at Home tab | Multilevel List)? Note that the heading styles have
"Normal" set as the "Style for following paragraph" in the Modify Style
dialog box. You will have to change that for the outline to work the way you
want it to (unless you work in Outline view). You should also turn off "Keep
with next" for most of the heading styles.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"lilhoward88" wrote in message
When I used to make outlines with word I could press the enter button and
it
would automatically format the next line of the outline for me. All of a
sudden it dosen't do that anymore. When I press the enter button it just
goes to the next line with not outline format at all. I use Word to make
outlines A LOT, and its getting pretty annoying, can someone tell me how
fix this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

To add to what Stefan has said, if you are working in Outline view, then the
"Style for following paragraph" is ignored; when you press Enter at the end
of a Heading 1 paragraph, you get another Heading 1.

http://word.mvps.org