Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
joe925c joe925c is offline

Default Headers/Footers, Chapters, Columns

Hope I can close out my WP to Word conversions of 1022 files with answers to
these questions. I have 10 files that just won't cooperate!
(1) How do I set the Chapter number? Using the Header1, 2, etc. and
multilevel list selections. In WP I had a window that allowed me to set a
channel number/format and a page number/format anyplace on any page. Suppose
I have a document in which I want to skip Chapter 5 in the document for later
use. How can I do this in Word? I have 4 chapters and 2 appendices. Want to
have chapters 1-x, 2-x, 3-x, 4-x, A-1, A-2.....How?
(2) At the start of each chapter, I have opened Page Number--Format Page.
Check "Include chapter numbers" and set page number to start at one. Where
do I control the chapter "number" and format and set that format to the
number shown in a footer, cross reference and TOC (e.g., 10-1 versus A-1)?
(3) Headers(footers): The tab at the right when working on headers can be
not shown or "same as previous section". Wish to have new header for each
chapter. My understanding is to make sure the first page of the chapter
header is not linked to the previous chapter. Now, if I have no more sections
in the chapter (except section page break at end) will all pages in that
chapter also show the Header without the "link to previous section"? If the
chapter has a continuous section marker on page 3, do I have to make sure
that the header on page 4 has a "link to previous section"? Does the "link to
previous section" refer to the header on the previous page regardless of how
many sections are on that page?
(4) Similar to item 3 above. Assume the basic chapter (no sections until
last page). On page 3 for some reason I have a Header with different text
than the initial Chapter heading text. There is no "link to previous section"
at that point. How do I remove that text and have it be the same as the
Chapter text?
(5) Columns. I gather that columns are delimited by light gray boxes. How
can I decrease the length of the box? How can I define parallel columns
instead of newspaper columns? I have two columns on a page that is one column
at the start. I put a section (continuous), column = 2, column break from
column one, at end of column 2 I put in another section (continuous) break
and want to set column = 1. When I try to do the second section break, it
shows up followed by a section (page break)....why?

Maybe there is some common thread in my questions that could help me
understand what I am missing?