Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
nycCTM nycCTM is offline

Default Several Tables of Contents (sort of like sub tables?) in one docum

I have a document that I expect will end up being around 60-75 pages. It's a
cookbook divided into sections. I want a TOC for each section but can't
figure out how to do it. When I insert a TOC it goes through the entire
document and I want TOCs for each section.

There are real sections with headers, footers, etc. Any help would be
appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can create a TOC for a portion of the document. See "A partial table of
contents" in http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TOCSwitches.htm. Find more
tips for TOCs at http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/TOCTips.htm.

"nycCTM" wrote in message
I have a document that I expect will end up being around 60-75 pages. It's

cookbook divided into sections. I want a TOC for each section but can't
figure out how to do it. When I insert a TOC it goes through the entire
document and I want TOCs for each section.

There are real sections with headers, footers, etc. Any help would be
appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Insert a bookmark around each section. Then use a \b switch in the TOC
for that section, as explained in "A partial table of contents" at
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Format...OCSwitches.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

On Thu, 29 Mar 2007 19:28:02 -0700, nycCTM
wrote:

I have a document that I expect will end up being around 60-75 pages. It's a
cookbook divided into sections. I want a TOC for each section but can't
figure out how to do it. When I insert a TOC it goes through the entire
document and I want TOCs for each section.

There are real sections with headers, footers, etc. Any help would be
appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
nycCTM nycCTM is offline

Default Several Tables of Contents (sort of like sub tables?) in one d

Thanks to both of you, but I must be doing something wrong. I found other
posts that said to use the \b after defining a bookmark but I can't seem to
get it to work. I get the error:

ERROR! NOT A VALID HEADING LEVEL RANGE.

Here is my code:

{TOC \B APPETIZERS \O "RECIPEHEADING,1"}

I also tried these and they don't work either as it pulls entries from the
entire document

{TOC \h \z \t \b"RecipeHeading,1" }

{TOC \h \z \t \b Appetizers "RecipeHeading,1" }

"Appetizers" is the bookmark and "RecipeHeading" is the name of the style.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Well, the bookmark name must follow the \b switch and the style name the \t
switch. The \o switch is valid only for numbers of built-in headings. So
what should work is this:

{TOC \h \z \t "RecipeHeading,1" \b Appetizers }

or

{TOC \h \z \b Appetizers \t "RecipeHeading,1" }

For more on TOC switches, see the Help topic "Field codes: TOC (Table of
Contents) field" and/or the article at

"nycCTM" wrote in message
Thanks to both of you, but I must be doing something wrong. I found other
posts that said to use the \b after defining a bookmark but I can't seem

get it to work. I get the error:

ERROR! NOT A VALID HEADING LEVEL RANGE.

Here is my code:

{TOC \B APPETIZERS \O "RECIPEHEADING,1"}

I also tried these and they don't work either as it pulls entries from the
entire document

{TOC \h \z \t \b"RecipeHeading,1" }

{TOC \h \z \t \b Appetizers "RecipeHeading,1" }

"Appetizers" is the bookmark and "RecipeHeading" is the name of the style.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Glad I could help, and interesting that the order of the switches matters,
given that in many fields it doesn't. I certainly consider the latter field
more logical, though.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Well, the bookmark name must follow the \b switch and the style name the

\t
switch. The \o switch is valid only for numbers of built-in headings. So
what should work is this:

{TOC \h \z \t "RecipeHeading,1" \b Appetizers }

or

{TOC \h \z \b Appetizers \t "RecipeHeading,1" }

For more on TOC switches, see the Help topic "Field codes: TOC (Table of
Contents) field" and/or the article at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TOCSwitches.htm.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.