Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DL, Wisconsin DL, Wisconsin is offline

Default Updating Word mailing labels from Excel data

Hello, helpful folks! I produce mailing labels in Word using Excel data
(wish it was easier, but I manage, with your help). When I revise the Excel
data, I hoped it would transfer to the existing labels when I access the Word
file. No such luck. I have to recreate the lables to get them updated.
There must be a better way; this should work automatically but it doesn't for
me. Suggestions? Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you save the mail merge main document as a separate file, then it's just
a matter of going in and using Merge to New Document (on the Mail Merge
toolbar) to update the labels.

DL; "Wisconsin" wrote in message
Hello, helpful folks! I produce mailing labels in Word using Excel data
(wish it was easier, but I manage, with your help). When I revise the

Excel
data, I hoped it would transfer to the existing labels when I access the

Word
file. No such luck. I have to recreate the lables to get them updated.
There must be a better way; this should work automatically but it doesn't

for
me. Suggestions? Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

See http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_lab...th_word_xp.htm or
http://www.gmayor.com/merge_labels_with_word_2007.htm

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
If you save the mail merge main document as a separate file, then
it's just a matter of going in and using Merge to New Document (on
the Mail Merge toolbar) to update the labels.

DL; "Wisconsin" wrote in
message ...
Hello, helpful folks! I produce mailing labels in Word using Excel
data (wish it was easier, but I manage, with your help). When I
revise the Excel data, I hoped it would transfer to the existing
labels when I access the Word file. No such luck. I have to
recreate the lables to get them updated. There must be a better way;
this should work automatically but it doesn't for me. Suggestions?
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DL, Wisconsin DL, Wisconsin is offline

Suzanne, I believe I get it now, I wasn't sure what "mail merge main
document" means, but I think I do now.

Graham, I frequently use your XP document, but I didn't see the answer
there. I may be lost in the terminology. Thank you for the document!

Thank you both for your kind assistance to a work-at-home person with nobody
else to ask!

Dale, Wisconsin

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
If you save the mail merge main document as a separate file, then
it's just a matter of going in and using Merge to New Document (on
the Mail Merge toolbar) to update the labels.

DL; "Wisconsin" wrote in
message ...
Hello, helpful folks! I produce mailing labels in Word using Excel
data (wish it was easier, but I manage, with your help). When I
revise the Excel data, I hoped it would transfer to the existing
labels when I access the Word file. No such luck. I have to
recreate the lables to get them updated. There must be a better way;
this should work automatically but it doesn't for me. Suggestions?
Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

As I guess you've figured out, the "mail merge main document" is the basic
form you set up with form fields that link to your data source. Whenever you
merge to a new document (or, if you're reckless, the printer), the result is
based on the current content of the data source. More in these articles:

How to create a Mail merge
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/...AMailMerge.htm

Creating a mail merge Data Source
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MailMerge/...DataSource.htm