nosurfdj

Default Possible to use macros saved in Office 2003 when downgrading to xp

my organization has third party software that uses Word to display certain
types of reports. the third party software doesn't work with word 2003, but
does work with word xp. however, i have a bunch of macros that I don't want
to lose.
If I were to downgrade to Office XP, can I still use my macros from Office
2003 simply by saving my normal.dot file? If not, is there any other way to
do this?
Thanks
Jay Freedman

nosurfdj wrote:
my organization has third party software that uses Word to display
certain types of reports. the third party software doesn't work with
word 2003, but does work with word xp. however, i have a bunch of
macros that I don't want to lose.
If I were to downgrade to Office XP, can I still use my macros from
Office 2003 simply by saving my normal.dot file? If not, is there
any other way to do this?
Thanks

Yes, just moving the normal.dot file should work. The file formats in the
two versions are the same.

To be on the safe side, you can export the macros to .bas files
(essentially, text files containing the code). In the VBA editor's Project
Explorer pane, right-click the icon of each module and select Export File.
After the downgrade, if the old normal.dot doesn't work properly, create a
new one (rename normal.dot and restart Word) and use the Import File command
to reload your macros.

I'm curious about how the third-party software fails to work with Word 2003.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Graham Mayor

Jay Freedman wrote:
I'm curious about how the third-party software fails to work with
Word 2003.

I was curious about that. Could it be that because Word 2003 post dates the
third party software that its add-in is in the wrong Office startup folder
and thus Word no longer sees it?

nosurfdj

Thanks for the info Jay.
The third party software is a hospital IS. It uses Word to basically print
everything from a server hospital wide.
Docs can view transcription results in one of the modules, but for some
reason it doesn't work with Word 2003. I don't know exactly why it doesn't
work, but I have been told that with Word 2003, development will have to do
more programming to get it to work. (it does work with Word 2000 and Word
XP).
Thanks again Jay.