Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jo_Soton Jo_Soton is offline

Default insert cross reference to multiple captions

Thanks Giovanni for asking the question I was seeking the answer to and
thanks Suzanne for passing on the solution. I found I needed to go through
the adding a bookmark and updating the crossrefence for both, i.e. I had the
cross references Table3 Table6 and had to alter these to 3 6 and then
manually add in the word Tables and a hyphen to achieve Tables 3-6 which was
what I'd been aiming for. Got there in the end :-)

"giovanni" wrote:

Thank you very much, that makes a lot of sense (I just had to figure to
select the actual caption, not the cross-reference to it)!

Thanks again,
Giovanni

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

It's fiddly but possible. *After* inserting the cross-reference (which
creates the bookmark), select just the number of the figure caption
(omitting "Figure"). Then go to Insert | Bookmark. Check the box for "Hidden
bookmarks" and the radio button for "Location." The bookmark that is
currently selected is the bookmark for the caption you currently have
selected. Click Add to reapply the bookmark to just the figure number.
Return to your cross-reference, select it, and press F9 to update.

"giovanni" wrote in message
Hi,

I am trying to insert a cross reference to multiple figures. The problem

is
that every time I insert a reference, the word "Figure" appears in front

of
the numeber. Is there a simple way not to inlucde the the lablel but only

the
number in the cross reference? Also, can you insert more than one
cross-reference at the time (I tried holding the CTRL key but it does not
work)? BY the way, I am using Word 2003.

Thank you

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If I'd read the OP more carefully, I would have just pointed to
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/CombineXrefs.htm, which explains the
process somewhat better.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

It's fiddly but possible. *After* inserting the cross-reference (which
creates the bookmark), select just the number of the figure caption
(omitting "Figure"). Then go to Insert | Bookmark. Check the box for

"Hidden
bookmarks" and the radio button for "Location." The bookmark that is
currently selected is the bookmark for the caption you currently have
selected. Click Add to reapply the bookmark to just the figure number.
Return to your cross-reference, select it, and press F9 to update.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.