Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jayne jayne is offline

Default Why do I not see the file extension in the Save as Type box?

One of our employees pointed out that when she goes to the "Save as Type"
dropdown menu in Word to save a document, she does not see any file
extensions after the type. For instance, she will see "Word Document"
whereas on my computer, I see "Word Document (*.doc)" Why is she not seeing
any of the file extensions? Is there a setting somewhere that controls this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Tue, 4 Dec 2007 16:29:01 -0800, Jayne
wrote:

One of our employees pointed out that when she goes to the "Save as Type"
dropdown menu in Word to save a document, she does not see any file
extensions after the type. For instance, she will see "Word Document"
whereas on my computer, I see "Word Document (*.doc)" Why is she not seeing
any of the file extensions? Is there a setting somewhere that controls this?

The setting is in Windows Explorer (a.k.a. My Computer), and Word just
follows along.

In Windows Explorer, go to Tools Folder Options View. If the box
for "Hide extensions for known file types" is checked, you won't see
extensions in either Windows Explorer or any Office programs. If it's
unchecked, then you'll see them.

It's highly recommended that you display extensions at all times, for
two reasons. The more important one is that a favorite way of
infecting your computer with a virus is to mail you a file with a name
like "mydoc.doc.exe", in the hope that all you'll see is "mydoc.doc"
and you'll double-click to open it. The less important one is that you
can accidentally wind up with a real document named something like
"mydoc.txt.doc" if you can't see what's happening.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

She probably doesn't have file extensions displayed anywhere. This is a
Windows setting: in Windows Explorer, Tools | Folder Options | View and
clear the check box for "Hide extensions for known file types."

"Jayne" wrote in message
One of our employees pointed out that when she goes to the "Save as Type"
dropdown menu in Word to save a document, she does not see any file
extensions after the type. For instance, she will see "Word Document"
whereas on my computer, I see "Word Document (*.doc)" Why is she not
seeing
any of the file extensions? Is there a setting somewhere that controls
this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jayne jayne is offline

Thank you, Jay and Suzanne. I don't know why I didn't think of that
myself--maybe because our whole company is undergoing multiple major software
updates and questions are flying in hot and heavy with little room to take a
breath. Thanks so much for this very quick and simple solution!

"Jayne" wrote in message
One of our employees pointed out that when she goes to the "Save as Type"
dropdown menu in Word to save a document, she does not see any file
extensions after the type. For instance, she will see "Word Document"
whereas on my computer, I see "Word Document (*.doc)" Why is she not
seeing
any of the file extensions? Is there a setting somewhere that controls
this?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Marilyn[_2_] Marilyn[_2_] is offline

Hi Jay,

I am having the same problem that Jayne wrote about however, I can not
figure out have to fix my problem. When I go to Windows Explorer/My
Computer, I do not see a "Tools" Option. Where do I find it? I use the
Vista OS. Would I need to do something different because of Vista?

Thanks,

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mary Sauer Mary Sauer is offline

You need to open the folder options. If you don't see it in the Explorer then
look in the control panel for the Folder Options. View tab, uncheck Hide
extensions for known file types.

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Marilyn Marilyn is offline

Thank you Mary! I was never able to find the folder options via the "My
Computer"/"Windows Explorer" window however I was finally able find it by
going to the "Control Panel" and then under "Appearance and Personalization".
There under "Folder Options", on the "View" tab, I was able to unclick the
"Hide extensions for known file types". I am not sure why you would ever
need to hide those extensions. It definately should not be part of the
default settings....

Thanks again,

Marilyn

wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Mary Sauer Mary Sauer is offline

Glad to help, Marilyn. Thanks for the post, it is appreciated.

--
Mary Sauer MSFT MVP
http://office.microsoft.com/

wrote:

[...]