Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
katy[_3_] katy[_3_] is offline

Default How do I disable auto repeat

Hi All, I didn't know what to look for so I apologize if this was answered
before. But how do I disable the 'feature' that causes repetitive typing of
a key if it is held down. Like for the letter dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd
if I hold it down, it continues across the page. How can I disable this? I
have a student who has trouble coordinating her hands on the keyboard (she
has a disability) and she tends to hold down a key she is typing.

Is this something that CAN be disabled? Thanks So much!! katy

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Wed, 11 Feb 2009 19:13:17 -0600, "katy" fairytale_4_at_hotmail.com wrote:

Hi All, I didn't know what to look for so I apologize if this was answered
before. But how do I disable the 'feature' that causes repetitive typing of
a key if it is held down. Like for the letter dddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd
if I hold it down, it continues across the page. How can I disable this? I
have a student who has trouble coordinating her hands on the keyboard (she
has a disability) and she tends to hold down a key she is typing.

Is this something that CAN be disabled? Thanks So much!! katy

Yes, it can be disabled, but it's a Windows setting, not a Word setting.

In the Windows Control Panel, choose Accessibility Options (in Windows XP) or
Ease of Access Center and then click "Make the keyboard easier to use" (in
Windows Vista). In the dialog, set up and turn on the Filter Keys option.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Jay is correct but there may be a 'simpler' setting in the Control Panel,
Keyboard applet. You can adjust both the Repeat Delay (make that much
longer) and the repeat rate (which shouldn't affect this problem).

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

news