Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
DownTownBrown DownTownBrown is offline

Default How do I find the directory path of an open document?

Using Word 2007 and opening a recent document. How do I determine the
Directory path that this document is in?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

DownTownBrown wrote:
Using Word 2007 and opening a recent document. How do I determine the
Directory path that this document is in?

Here are a few ways:

1. Add a "file name and path" field somewhere in the document. Type
filename \p
(note the space before the backslash), select that text, press Ctrl+F9 to
make it a field, and press F9 to update it. If you don't want the field in
the document permanently, click Undo to get rid of it.

2. Add a Document Location box to the Quick Access Toolbar. Click the down
arrow at the right end of the toolbar and choose More Commands. Set the
category to Commands Not In the Ribbon, click on Document Location, and
click the Add button, then OK. This box shows the full path of the current
document, although you may have to click in the box and press the
right-arrow key to see all of it.

3. Click the Office button Save As to see where it suggests saving -- that
should be the same folder from which the document was opened. Click Cancel
to dismiss the dialog.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Or to add to your choice...

Create an AutoOpen macro stored in Normal.dotm with the following code:

ActiveWindow.Caption = ActiveDocument.FullName

This may help if you need it: http://www.gmayor.com/installing_macro.htm

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"DownTownBrown" wrote in message
Using Word 2007 and opening a recent document. How do I determine the
Directory path that this document is in?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

To add to the other suggestions, if you add an Advanced Document Properties
button to the QAT, you can open the Properties dialog and see the full path
at Location on the General tab.

http://word.mvps.org

"DownTownBrown" wrote in message
Using Word 2007 and opening a recent document. How do I determine the
Directory path that this document is in?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

And Beth added yet another in another NG.

http://word.mvps.org

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
Cat well and truly skinned!

Terry

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
To add to the other suggestions, if you add an Advanced Document
Properties button to the QAT, you can open the Properties dialog and see
the full path at Location on the General tab.

http://word.mvps.org

"DownTownBrown" wrote in
message ...