Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] elandau1@gmail.com is offline

Default Help formating styles... please...

I'm running Word (part of Office 2007) and have a document with a
HEADER1 and HEADER2 style. The HEADER2 style is 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 etc.
(and does not reset when I have a HEADER1). I'd like it to be 1.1,
1.2, 1.3,1.4 etc. and have it reset back to 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 when I have
a HEADER1.

Can someone show me how to do that?

Thanks,
-Ed
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

wrote:
I'm running Word (part of Office 2007) and have a document with a
HEADER1 and HEADER2 style. The HEADER2 style is 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 etc.
(and does not reset when I have a HEADER1). I'd like it to be 1.1,
1.2, 1.3,1.4 etc. and have it reset back to 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 when I have
a HEADER1.

Can someone show me how to do that?

Thanks,
-Ed

See
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
[email protected] elandau1@gmail.com is offline

So.... would you by any chance know how the new 2007 version works?
There's got to be a setting somewhere to give a style a heirarchical
level?

-Ed
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I'm just beginning to feel my way through this wilderness, but you could
start by applying one of the multi-level list formats (the ones that show
Heading 1, Heading 2, etc.) to your headings. Or perhaps Jay will come back
with more specifics.

wrote in message

So.... would you by any chance know how the new 2007 version works?
There's got to be a setting somewhere to give a style a heirarchical
level?

-Ed

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Applying multilevel numbering in W2007 is much the same as it is in W2003.
Except that you DO NOT start by modifying the heading style. Instead, place
the cursor in the first heading 1 style in your document, click the
multilevel list, and choose the 1 Heading1, 1.1 Heading 2, etc., numbering
scheme. If you have the styles pane displayed, you'll see the numbers
applied to the heading styles.

To edit the multilevel list, place the insertion point in the first the first
Heading 1 paragraph. Then click Home tab Multilevel List Define New
Multilevel List. The dialog box that comes up is very much like W2003's,
though rearranged a bit. So from there you can follow Shauna Kelly's advice.

One problem is that if you then change the number scheme to None, Word
removes the numbers from the headings in the document but leaves them on the
styles in the styles pane. To remove the numbering from the styles, you
must modify the style Format Numbering None. When I first started
using W2007, Word removed the numbers from the document and the styles. I
believe the current behavior is a Word error.

PamC