Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
john mcmichael john mcmichael is offline

Default Embeded Object Won't Open

Good Morning,

I am using Word 2003 and have created a file with an Embeded PowerPoint
presentation. When I double click the icon it works just fine as it does for
many of the other people in my office. However, there are some members of
our team that cant get it to open or when it opens it only identifies the
first slide...reads slide one of 1 when there are 26 slides to view. I'm
just stumpped on this one...

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer. Have a great day.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi john,

I am using Word 2003 and have created a file with an Embeded PowerPoint
presentation. When I double click the icon it works just fine as it does for
many of the other people in my office. However, there are some members of
our team that cant get it to open or when it opens it only identifies the
first slide...reads slide one of 1 when there are 26 slides to view. I'm
just stumpped on this one...

Not sure I can help, but if I were in this situation the first trouble-shooting
steps I'd try:

- Be sure PowerPoint is installed on these machines
- Check whether double-clicking a PowerPoint file in Windows Explorer opens it
in PowerPoint
- Make sure for the above (and your document) that the presenation is actually
opening in PowerPoint and not some other program (such as a viewer)

If, at this point, you determine the presentations are not opening in
PowerPoint, but it is installed, you may need to do a Detect and Repair to
ensure that PowerPoint is correctly registered.

Assuming the above doesn't help, the next thing I'd try is starting Windows in
Safe Mode and seeing whether things work then. If they do, there's some other
software Windows is loading that's interfering with the OLE Server (PowerPoint)
recognizing the call from the OLE client (the double-click in the Word doc).
This could be anti-virus software, a document or file management system, or
something else.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org