Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
SteveK

Default Different types of tabs (left and decimal) on same line?

I am trying to put two tabs on the same line but when I format one for left
it makes the already decimal formatted one change to left also, and vice
versa. Formatting the decimal one makes the left one become decimal.
What's going on here?

STeveK

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Karen

Hi Steve,

Are you using Word 2003?

If you can see your ruler on the top of your document and you see the
"L" symbol in the little box on the left, you can insert a left tab by
clicking on the ruler where you want the left tab to appear.

The decimal tab has it's own little symbol that looks like an upside
down "T" with a little decimal mark in it. You can see this on the
ruler if you click in the same little box (where you saw the "L") until
it scrolls down to appears. You can then click on the ruler anywhere
you want the decimal tab to appear.

Once your tabs are set, it shouldn't affect both of them, if you decide
to reformat one. You can also just drag them along the ruler to any
position you'd like them to be.

I wish you luck with this!

Karen

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
SteveK

I was clicking on the ruler where I want it to be and then double clicking
on that tab that I had jsut set to get to the Tabs window, ant then setting
the alignment type. Apparently that is the wrong way to do it because it
seems to set all the previously set tabs to be whatever is chosen from that
Tabs window.

The method suggested in another post by Karen appears to work - bring in
each differnet tab by setting the type in the left hand box and then
clicking on the ruler where I want it placed.

Thanks Karen and Suzanne,
Steve

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
How are you setting the tabs--using the ruler or the Tabs dialog?

so
all may benefit.

"SteveK" wrote in message
I am trying to put two tabs on the same line but when I format one for

left
it makes the already decimal formatted one change to left also, and vice
versa. Formatting the decimal one makes the left one become decimal.
What's going on here?

STeveK

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Karen

Dear Steve,

I'm glad the manual method worked for you and as Suzanne suggested you
can also use the Tab dialogue box to set your tabs more precisely if
you don't want to eyeball them on the ruler.

When you're in the Tabs dialogue box you can set your measurement for
say your first tab and make sure that the "left" button is clicked
before you click the "SET" button. Then you can enter your next tab
position but make sure that you've switched the "left" button to
"decimal" before you set it, and so on. Each tab position needs to
flagged as a certain "type" so it will work the way you want it to.
(Perhaps when you were using previously using the dialogue box, the
type was constantly set at "Left".)

I'm glad your problem is resolved!

Karen