Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cathy Cathy is offline

Default How can I change my default tab stops to be .25?

I am using Word 2007, without Vista. How can I change my default tab stops
to be at every .25? I have tried to change this, but it does not give me the
option to set this as default.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
maurice maurice is offline

My guess is that this is a setting in the normal.dot
Make your change there and save the normal.dot
--
Maurice Ausum

"Cathy" wrote:

I am using Word 2007, without Vista. How can I change my default tab stops
to be at every .25? I have tried to change this, but it does not give me the
option to set this as default.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Open Normal.dotm for editing double click the ruler to open the tab editor.
Clear any tabs set by the clicking and set the default tab stop to .25".
Save and close normal.dotm

Rather than format documents with tabs, you would be better in most cases
using indents as part of the paragraph styles. Each month I receive a
newsletter from a retirement association that is formatted entirely with
thousands of tabs. The document is a monumental horror. I even gave the guy
a template to use with the styles properly configured to do the job, but he
insists on this monstrosity. Please don't follow his example

Maurice wrote:
My guess is that this is a setting in the normal.dot
Make your change there and save the normal.dot

I am using Word 2007, without Vista. How can I change my default
tab stops to be at every .25? I have tried to change this, but it
does not give me the option to set this as default.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
MrsL MrsL is offline

I don't want to change the default tab stop for all my documents - my
document is based on its own template which is company-wide, and in fact I
only want to change the default tab stops for one particular style.

All the google results I've seen show a "default tab stop" option in the
top-right of the tab dialog, but it's not available in the tab dialog for my
style - why not?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

If you only want to change the tab stops for one particular style, set the
required tabs at the positions they are needed in that style definition.
From the Modify style dialog Format Tabs. Tabs defined in the style
replace the default tab settings. You will make the document much easier to
re-edit if you set and use ONLY the tab stop positions that you require. I
cannot imagine a document that requires the tabs set every quarter of an
inch