Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Marcia

Default Can't open .doc file...help

Works has been my word processor program, but I just installed WORD. Still it
won't open a .doc file.
ANy suggestions would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Marcia

I click on document, and WORKS appears on screen, then an error message that
says "there is not enough memory to open file C:\................close your
document , close other programs and try again..." Version Office 2003
Student and Teacher Edition....WIndows XP

"Marcia" wrote in message
Works has been my word processor program, but I just installed WORD. Still

it
won't open a .doc file.
ANy suggestions would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

It would appear that Works is still associated with the .doc file type. Try
reregistering Word by going to Start | Run, typing

winword.exe /r

and pressing Enter (note that there is a space before the forward slash.

Or see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ReRegisterWord.htm. This will
change the file association for .doc and .dot files from Works to Word.

Also, if you open Word first, you should be able to open Word documents from
its File Open dialog.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What happens when you try? Do you get an error message? If so, please

quote
it exactly. Also please tell us what version of Word and Windows.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Marcia" wrote in message
Works has been my word processor program, but I just installed WORD.

Still
it
won't open a .doc file.
ANy suggestions would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Marcia

Suzanne, that sounds good, but I don't know (sorry a novice) how to get to
Start/Run..pls advise

"Marcia" wrote in message
Works has been my word processor program, but I just installed WORD.

Still
it
won't open a .doc file.
ANy suggestions would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Marcia

I tried both your last suggestions about re-registering Word, via winword,
and going to the web-site. Works still opens when I try to open a .doc file.
Can I still have Works on the computer AND Word? ANy other ideas?

"Marcia" wrote:

Works has been my word processor program, but I just installed WORD. Still it
won't open a .doc file.
ANy suggestions would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Marcia

OH, just thought I'd mention that the Excel works just fine

"Marcia" wrote:

Works has been my word processor program, but I just installed WORD. Still it
won't open a .doc file.
ANy suggestions would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

Click on the Start button in the lower left corner of your screen. Select
Run.

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

It would appear that Works is still associated with the .doc file type.
Try
reregistering Word by going to Start | Run, typing

winword.exe /r

and pressing Enter (note that there is a space before the forward slash.

Or see http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/ReRegisterWord.htm. This will
change the file association for .doc and .dot files from Works to Word.

Also, if you open Word first, you should be able to open Word documents
from
its File Open dialog.

so
all may benefit.

"Marcia" wrote in message
Works has been my word processor program, but I just installed
WORD.

Still
it
won't open a .doc file.
ANy suggestions would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JoAnn Paules [MVP]

How to change file associations in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307859

--

JoAnn Paules
MVP Microsoft [Publisher]

"Marcia" wrote:

Works has been my word processor program, but I just installed WORD.
Still it
won't open a .doc file.
ANy suggestions would be appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Marcia

Went to Office Assistant and it cleared this up for me. Thanks alot!!