Tusker

Default style feature is a poorly thought-out pain in the ass

Short story: Caption style was left justified (who does this?). Tried to
correct it to be centered. Ended up getting a "caption" style which was
based on the Normal paragraph style. Now auto insertion of captions does not
work (doesn't give me the "Figure 1, Figure 2" starting point. Why!!!????

1) Why allow caption to be left justified (actually not a bad idea)
2) Why not allow it to be centered?
3) Why in the hell would you allow the default paragraph style "Caption" to
be modified to "normal", and then -never- brought back? This makes no sense.

This is another case of an extremely "feature rich" office app that, when
you get right down to it, has been very poorly thought out. This usually
results in people like me spending a ton of time trying to work around the
tool, rather than getting the benefit from it.

Suggestion: Spend some time (and $$) thinking about what really makes
sense, rather than just piling on feature after feature in a random way.
Spend more time -using- the product, and less time just adding poorly thought
out, incomplete, erroneous junk.

If I could find a competing product that didn't have OS or file format
issues, I would gladly use it!!!!

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

Charles Kenyon

Styles in Word are actually pretty well thought-out and work well, if you
take the time to learn how to use them. If you are going to use Word much,
you really should learn how they work. They are at the heart of how Word
works. http://addbalance.com/usersguide/styles.htm.

I suspect you have several autocorrect features set (default) poorly.
Tools AutoCorrect Options AutoFormat As You Type (tab)

I would recommend unchecking everything under "Apply as you type" and
"Automatically as you type."
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Tusker" wrote in message
[...]

PopS

Then try Openoffice.org; a free replacement for the Office suite.

:
[...]
: ----------------
: This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds
to the
: suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion,
click the "I
: Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the
button, follow this
: link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based
Newsreader and then
: click "I Agree" in the message pane.
:
:

Joe McGuire

You are not very clear about your problem. IMHO Styles is one of the
better-planned parts of Word. If I could figure it out it could not have
been THAT complicated--I gave up on a lot of other stuff in Word, like
macros. However, there is a certain learning curve with Styles as with most
other Word features. It is not intuitive and, unfortunately, there are a
few trip wires in the form of Microsoft attempts to "simplify" it that
merely add tothe confusion. Try this reference:
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/styl...sOnStyles.html

For more information check other papers on styles:

http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/index.html