Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ivory_kitten

Default user information character limit

Does anyone know if there is a limit on the number of characters that you can
put in the "User Information" mailing address box in the Options menu.

My address has 190 characters including spaces and it works OK until I quit
Word and come back in and it has reduced to 118 characters including spaces.

How do I fix this because it is really annoying that it deletes almost half
of my address?

I use Word 2003
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

There are other ways of inserting addresses - see
http://www.gmayor.com/Alternative_Return_Addresses.htm

ivory_kitten wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a limit on the number of characters that
you can put in the "User Information" mailing address box in the
Options menu.

My address has 190 characters including spaces and it works OK until
I quit Word and come back in and it has reduced to 118 characters
including spaces.

How do I fix this because it is really annoying that it deletes
almost half of my address?

I use Word 2003

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ivory_kitten

Hi, thanks for your input, let me tell you what I am trying to achieve. This
is for work and we are setting up templates for each of our branches and I
want to be able to put a field in the Word document that will change the
address depending on the user and their location and for each user to enter
the address of their branch. Do you know a way to do this without the limit
of characters.

ivory_kitten wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a limit on the number of characters that
you can put in the "User Information" mailing address box in the
Options menu.

My address has 190 characters including spaces and it works OK until
I quit Word and come back in and it has reduced to 118 characters
including spaces.

How do I fix this because it is really annoying that it deletes
almost half of my address?

I use Word 2003

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

You could setup all the branch addresses in a global template autotext entry
called eg 'Branch' where branch is the name of the branch (or some unique
branch identifier). Then instead of having the full address in the
UserAddress information, put the branch name you have chosen for the
autotext name. You can then insert the correct address with an autotext
field that calls the useraddress field thus

{ AUTOTEXT "{ USERADDRESS }" }

This way you only have to create one set of document templates and one
global template. Each user will have to have the correct branch details in
useraddress.

Autotext entries can be as long as you like and can contain formatting.

ivory_kitten wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a limit on the number of characters
that you can put in the "User Information" mailing address box in
the Options menu.

My address has 190 characters including spaces and it works OK until
I quit Word and come back in and it has reduced to 118 characters
including spaces.

How do I fix this because it is really annoying that it deletes
almost half of my address?

I use Word 2003

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

If you are currently putting the address from user information in your
templates then that address is inserted in your template with a USERADDRESS
field. However you have said that the field will not hold sufficient
information for your requirements, so as a workaround, create a number of
autotext entries named after the branches. Thus for example you would call
the autotext entry for the London branch LondonAddress etc Then in the user
information address field put LondonAddress.

The autotext field then calls whatever name is inserted in the user
information and inserts the appropriate address.

ivory_kitten wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a limit on the number of characters
that you can put in the "User Information" mailing address box in
the Options menu.

My address has 190 characters including spaces and it works OK
until I quit Word and come back in and it has reduced to 118
characters including spaces.

How do I fix this because it is really annoying that it deletes
almost half of my address?

I use Word 2003

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ivory_kitten

I made an AutoText entry called BranchAddress with all the details I need.
Then I put BranchAddress as my User Address information but now it just
shows BranchAddress and not the Autotext that this relates to. What am I
doing wrong?

ivory_kitten wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a limit on the number of characters
that you can put in the "User Information" mailing address box in
the Options menu.

My address has 190 characters including spaces and it works OK
until I quit Word and come back in and it has reduced to 118
characters including spaces.

How do I fix this because it is really annoying that it deletes
almost half of my address?

I use Word 2003

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

You need to insert the field construction as follows:

{ AUTOTEXT "{ USERADDRESS }" }

Press CTRL+F9 for each pair of field boundaries {} and type the rest.
Press F9 to update and right click and toggle the display to show the
result.
Provided the name of the autotext entry is BranchAddress and you have
BranchAddress as the user address then the field will show the content of
your autotext entry.

ivory_kitten wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a limit on the number of characters
that you can put in the "User Information" mailing address box
in the Options menu.

My address has 190 characters including spaces and it works OK
until I quit Word and come back in and it has reduced to 118
characters including spaces.

How do I fix this because it is really annoying that it deletes
almost half of my address?

I use Word 2003

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ivory_kitten

I have done that and the field returns "Error! AutoText entry not defined."

I have checked under AutoText and my BranchAddress is there?

Am I doing something wrong?

ivory_kitten wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a limit on the number of characters
that you can put in the "User Information" mailing address box
in the Options menu.

My address has 190 characters including spaces and it works OK
until I quit Word and come back in and it has reduced to 118
characters including spaces.

How do I fix this because it is really annoying that it deletes
almost half of my address?

I use Word 2003

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

There are only two sources of potential error.

1. You did not insert one of the fields by using CTRL+F9 for the field
boundaries.

Press CTRL+F9
{}
Between the brackets type
AUTOTEXT ""
{AUTOTEXT ""}
Between the quotes Press CTRL+F9
{AUTOTEXT "{}"}
Between the second set of brackets type USERADDRESS
{AUTOTEXT "{USERADDRESS}"}
Press F9
Press ALT+F9
If you get the error message

2. What you entered in the Tools Options User Information mailing
address is
not spelled identically to the name you gave to the Autotext entry that
contains your completed address.
Change one or both then with your cursor in the field press F9.

ivory_kitten wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a limit on the number of
characters that you can put in the "User Information" mailing
address box in the Options menu.

My address has 190 characters including spaces and it works OK
until I quit Word and come back in and it has reduced to 118
characters including spaces.

How do I fix this because it is really annoying that it
deletes almost half of my address?

I use Word 2003

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
ivory_kitten

That sounds really complicated! I played around a bit and decided to leave
the UserAddress bit out and just use the AutoText entry directly to my field.

Thanks for helping me sort this out!