Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Daniel_L Daniel_L is offline

Default Save As Refuses to work in Word 2007 Trial or BETA 2

With both the BETA 2 and the final release of Word 2007 (the trial), every
time I select "Save As" Word insists on opening a window that is the "Open"
file window and my computer's speaker beeps once. Actually, this is
happening on all of our Windows XP Pro (fully updated) computers on which
we've installed the Office 2007 Standard trial. "Save" works just fine. And
"Save As" works just fine in Excel 2007and PowerPoint 2007. It's just in Word
2007 that "Save As" refuses to perform. Word 2000 is also on these computers.
This problem existed without any add-ins being added to Word -- no scripts
created -- it happened pretty much right out of the virtual box. Plenty of
RAM and plenty of hard disk space. AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800 processor. Anybody
have any ideas? Maybe I've performed some tweak of Windows that is causing
this? I don't know and can't imagine what it is -- but I sure won't buy the
final Office 2007 if this problem can't be solved. Any ideas are very much
welcome. Thanks for your help.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid [MVP] Patrick Schmid [MVP] is offline

What if you launch Word in safe mode via Start, Run, winword /a
?

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***
Office 2007 RTM Issues: http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/11/13/80
Office 2007 Beta 2 Technical Refresh (B2TR):
http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/09/18/43
***
Customize Office 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/customize
RibbonCustomizer Add-In: http://pschmid.net/office2007/ribboncustomizer
OneNote 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/onenote
***
Subscribe to my Office 2007 blog: http://pschmid.net/blog/feed

"Daniel_L" wrote in message
:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DJ Boise DJ Boise is offline

I'm having the same issue myself along with not being able to attach files in
Outlook. I'm running Vista Beta 2 and waiting for my RC1 DVD to show up.

Suggestions?

DJ

"Daniel_L" wrote in message
:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid [MVP] Patrick Schmid [MVP] is offline

Vista Beta 2? No surprise...
Office RTM (the trials) are only supported on Vista RTM.

For the OP: Do you have Norton AntiVirus? If yes, is the Office
integration switched on? If yes, turn it off.

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***

:

"Daniel_L" wrote in message
:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
DJ Boise DJ Boise is offline

Not running Norton. I tried to download RC1 a few weeks ago and it never
completed. The next day when I got home from work Microsoft cut off the
downloads from the site. I rec'd my Beta 2 DVD's about a month ago so I'm
hoping to the get the RC1 DVD's soon. Any other suggestions?

Thanks,
DJ

:

"Daniel_L" wrote in message
:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Patrick Schmid [MVP] Patrick Schmid [MVP] is offline

No, you are probably not going to be very happy with RC1 either. Office
RTM really wants Vista RTM.

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------
http://pschmid.net
***
Office 2007 RTM Issues: http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/11/13/80
Office 2007 Beta 2 Technical Refresh (B2TR):
http://pschmid.net/blog/2006/09/18/43
***
Customize Office 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/customize
RibbonCustomizer Add-In: http://pschmid.net/office2007/ribboncustomizer
OneNote 2007: http://pschmid.net/office2007/onenote
***
Subscribe to my Office 2007 blog: http://pschmid.net/blog/feed

news

:

"Daniel_L" wrote in message
:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Daniel_L Daniel_L is offline

No difference in Safe mode. Also I am not running Norton - using Kaspersky
Internet Security 6. But even with Kaspersky turned off, this of Word 2007
behavior continues. I have run Microsoft's Diagnostics to no avail - it finds
nothing wrong. Interestingly, when I installed it on a third computer, Word
was so fouled up that it crashed and "fixed" itself - resulting in it doing
save and save as just fine. My strong suspicion is that there is some
registry setting causing these problems, but I am at a loss as to what it
could be.

"Patrick Schmid [MVP]" wrote:

What if you launch Word in safe mode via Start, Run, winword /a
?

Patrick Schmid [OneNote MVP]
--------------

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Daniel_L Daniel_L is offline

Solved it! The problem is caused by Microsoft not using Windows
standards in its own software (now who would ever believe that; it just
seems so preposterous heh, heh).

The cause of the problem is a wonderful utility I use called XFilesDialog
which resizes and organizes the Windows and Office file dialogs (open, save,
save as) and will add a list of favorites and recent files/folders to all
standard programs. Something just clicked in my warped and shrinking mind and
I turned off X-Files Dialog -- lo and behold, Word 2007 did saves and "save
as" just fine. So, in the settings for X-Files Dialog you can tell it not to
intercept MS-Office programs
or specify individual programs to ignore. By setting it to ignore Word
2007 (i.e. Winword.exe), Word 2007 works just fine now. Interestingly,
this problem did not occur with any other Office 2007 application.

And I can vaguely remember that with past versions of Word, it took a few
months before a new version of XFilesDialog could be issued that would work
with the nonstandard Office dialogs.

XFilesDialog is available at http://www.xfilesdialog.com for a 30-day free
trial.

FilesDialog will resize the Windows and Office file dialogs (open, save,
save as) and will add a list of favorites and recent files/folders.
The major reasons why you would like to use XFilesDialog a
- to automatically resize (and reposition/center) all standard file dialogs;
- to add a list of favorites and most-recently used files and folders;
- to extend non-standard file dialogs (like those from Office97, Office2000
and OfficeXP) with a standard view;
- to get one-click buttons for your drives/volumes or favorites;
- to get in all standard file dialogs instant information about the current
folder and the size of the remaining free space;
- to always start file-dialogs in your desired view (list, details and so on);
- to remember and maintain the header size you want in details view;