Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Michael Michael is offline

Default €śAll Entries€ť for auto text are missing (Word 2002)

€śAll Entries€ť for auto text are missing but they are still stored in the
AutoText in the Autocorrect (Word 2002) how do I get them back into €śAll
Entries€ť?

Kind Regards, Michael J Dickson
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default "All Entries" for auto text are missing (Word 2002)

What template do you have selected for "Look in" in the AutoText dialog?
Also, note that if the insertion point is in a paragraph for which specific
AutoText entries are available, you'll see only those entries rather than
all the entries. You should see all the entries if the paragraph is in
Normal style, but they will be listed under the applicable styles (separate
submenu for each); there is no All Entries menu item on the Insert |
AutoText menu.

"Michael" wrote in message
"All Entries" for auto text are missing but they are still stored in the
AutoText in the Autocorrect (Word 2002) how do I get them back into "All
Entries"?

Kind Regards, Michael J Dickson

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Michael Michael is offline

Hello Suzanne; I have €śAll Active Templates€ť in the Autocorrect dialog box. I
am using all 3 toolbar options which has €śAll Entries€ť
--

"Michael" wrote in message
"All Entries" for auto text are missing but they are still stored in the
AutoText in the Autocorrect (Word 2002) how do I get them back into "All
Entries"?

Kind Regards, Michael J Dickson

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Okay, so you have the AutoText toolbar displayed. What is the paragraph
style at the insertion point?

"Michael" wrote in message
Hello Suzanne; I have "All Active Templates" in the Autocorrect dialog
box. I
am using all 3 toolbar options which has "All Entries"
--

"Michael" wrote in message
"All Entries" for auto text are missing but they are still stored in
the
AutoText in the Autocorrect (Word 2002) how do I get them back into
"All
Entries"?

Kind Regards, Michael J Dickson

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Michael Michael is offline

Hello Suzanne, under the styles tab on the left side gives the name of the
word document and the right side gives a name in Normal below this under
Styles available in: is Normal.dot (Global Template) with the options on both
sides to Close File and below that on the left says
Description_________________
--

"Michael" wrote in message
"All Entries" for auto text are missing but they are still stored
in
the
AutoText in the Autocorrect (Word 2002) how do I get them back
into
"All
Entries"?

Kind Regards, Michael J Dickson

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Apparently you are still looking in the Organizer. You should be in the
document window. When the insertion point is in a paragraph in Normal style,
your AutoText toolbar should be displaying All Entries.

news

"Michael" wrote in message
"All Entries" for auto text are missing but they are still
stored
in
the
AutoText in the Autocorrect (Word 2002) how do I get them back
into
"All
Entries"?

Kind Regards, Michael J Dickson

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Michael Michael is offline

Normal is inserted below €śDocument Template and Automatically update document
styles€ť is ticked/checked (please explain your meaning of €śinsertion point€ť)
in the bottom section €śGlobal templates and add-ins checked items are
currently loaded€ť this box is unchecked and has Normal.mjd.dot (if I check
this box normal appears in all entries with all my entries and my standard
toolbar changes to my personal settings, but when I open a new word document
or reopen this word document Normal.mjd.dot is not loaded even after Saving
All .
--

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Apparently you are still looking in the Organizer. You should be in the
document window. When the insertion point is in a paragraph in Normal style,
your AutoText toolbar should be displaying All Entries.

news

"Michael" wrote in message
"All Entries" for auto text are missing but they are still
stored
in
the
AutoText in the Autocorrect (Word 2002) how do I get them back
into
"All
Entries"?

Kind Regards, Michael J Dickson

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

We seem to be more and more at cross purposes here. When I say "insertion
point," I mean the blinking cursor in a document. When the cursor is in a
Normal paragraph, you should see All Entries on an AutoText toolbar. You are
clearly looking somewhere other than the document itself.

Now, your reference to Normal.mjd.dot suggests that you are trying to
replace Normal.dot with a global template of your own or add a global
template based on Normal.dot. Note that any template based on Normal.dot
will *not* include the AutoText entries that are in Normal.dot by default
(see "WD2002: Styles and AutoText Are Not Copied to New Template Based on
Normal.dot" at http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=291441). It will contain
any AutoText entries that you have specifically saved to the new template
(by choosing that template in the "Look in" box in Insert | AutoText |
AutoText when creating the entries); they will be categorized by style.

If you want Normal.mjd.dot to be loaded automatically when you start Word,
you must put it in Word's Startup folder. Otherwise, you will have to go to
Tools | Templates and Add-ins and check it manually every time you want it
loaded.

"Michael" wrote in message
Normal is inserted below "Document Template and Automatically update
document
styles" is ticked/checked (please explain your meaning of "insertion
point")
in the bottom section "Global templates and add-ins checked items are
currently loaded" this box is unchecked and has Normal.mjd.dot (if I check

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Apparently you are still looking in the Organizer. You should be in the
document window. When the insertion point is in a paragraph in Normal
style,
your AutoText toolbar should be displaying All Entries.

news

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

[...]

loaded. This is explained in
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...latesStore.htm, to which I
believe I have previously referred you.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Apparently you are still looking in the Organizer. You should be in the
document window. When the insertion point is in a paragraph in Normal
style,
your AutoText toolbar should be displaying All Entries.

news

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

One more note, you may want to reread

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Apparently you are still looking in the Organizer. You should be in the
document window. When the insertion point is in a paragraph in Normal
style,
your AutoText toolbar should be displaying All Entries.

news Hello Suzanne, under the styles tab on the left side gives the name of

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Michael Michael is offline

Hello Suzanne, I have got my self into a muddle here, first, all my normal
auto text were missing in the all entries and now when I open other word
documents I find some entries have doubled with all of my normal entries and
some with no normal entries, and my toolbars are different. Can you tell me
the easiest way to get back to normality?
--

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I suspect you lost your normal entries because you tried to use a
self-created template as Normal.dot. Then perhaps you copied the AT entries
to that template and loaded it as an add-in instead, after restoring
Normal.dot, which would result in everything showing up twice.

I would suggest that you rename Normal.dot (assuming you don't have too many
customizations stored there) to get it back to its default condition. An
AutoText toolbar in any document will now show all the default AutoText
entries for a given style (All Entries for Normal style or any other that
doesn't have specific ones).

If you want to add custom AutoText entries, you can save them in Normal.dot,
and they'll be displayed in all documents. Or you can save them to a
separate template that you save in Word's Startup folder so it will be
loaded as an add-in every time you start Word. The new entries in the add-in
will be displayed along with the default entries on the AutoText menu.

If you want them displayed only in documents based on a specific document
template, save them in that specific template; they will be added to the
entries in Normal.dot on the AutoText menu.

If you want them to be available to documents based on more than one
template (but not all documents), store them in a separate template that you
load as an add-in as needed.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Michael Michael is offline

A few days back when this problem arrived I did the following; closed Word,
search for the file normal.dot I rename it to Normal.mjd.dot then start Word
again. I then probably made a few mistakes in trying to resolve the problem.

To day I have; close Word, search for the file normal.dot I found several
templates with different names I selected normal and rename it to normal.dot
because there was no entry with that name, then started Word again.

When I open a new word document I find I will need to customize the toolbar
and the auto text standard entries are there and only one entry in normal
which I added yesterday.
When I open some of the documents that I was working out of yesterday the
toolbar is customized but with some double entries in the standard auto text
and full normal entries in auto text.

This seems to be a repeat of the problem, please advise.

--

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

The facts have not changed from what I stated yesterday. You must let Word
create its own Normal.dot in order to have a working one. If you have
another template that contains the same AutoText entries that is also loaded
as a global template, then the entries will be repeated.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

Hi Michael,

It seems there is some confusion here. Can I first confirm what the problem
is?

If I understand, you have some customized AutoText entries - somewhere, you
are not sure where. And you are not seeing what you expect to see under "All
Entries" on the AutoText toolbar.

You also have some toolbar customizations - deliberately or accidentally,
I'm not sure. And you are not not seeing the toolbars you expect.

The behaviour varies depending on the document you have open at the time.

Am I right?

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Michael Michael is offline

Yes you are right I must have another template that contains the same
AutoText entries that is also loaded as a global template, because the
entries are repeated only in the odd document.

Can you give me step by step instructions to remove Normal.mjd.dot and can I
delete this template?

--

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

What template do you have selected for "Look in" in the
AutoText
dialog?
Also, note that if the insertion point is in a
paragraph
for
which
specific
AutoText entries are available, you'll see only those
entries
rather
than
all the entries. You should see all the entries if the
paragraph
is
in
Normal style, but they will be listed under the
applicable
styles
(separate

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

Slow down a bit!!

If the entries are repeated only in an odd document it is not a global
template - it is a document template causing the problem. If it were a
global template you would see the effects all the time.

Can you identify the problematic document and see what template is attached
to it?

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Michael Michael is offline

I have identified the problematic document template as Normal.mjd.dot

The document template that is in a new Word document is Normal please give
step by step instructions to restore order and what about deleting
Normal.mjd.dot completely.

--

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

paragraph
style.
See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/DefParaFont.htm

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

Hi Michael,

How have you identified Normal.mjd.dot as being the cause of your problems?

If (as per one of your previous posts) you renamed Normal.dot as
Normal.mjd.dot and left it where it was then it should not ever have been
opened again or ever used as either a document template or a global
template --- unless you did something else (unusual) as well. It is that
unusual action I am trying to discover in order to help you sort things out.

When you start Word (with a new empty document) I presume your AutoText All
Entries are correct.

If not, ...

please go to Tools Templates and Addins.
On the Templates tab there wil be a list of "Global templates and
AddIns"
Any or all of these may be checked.
Uncheck one of them and close the dialog.
If the "All Entries" list is then good, ...
You have identifed the culprit.
Come back and we can sort it out
If not, repeat, one at a time, until no templates are left checked.
If you still have the problem then ...
It would appear to be Normal.dot itself
If so, come back and we can take it from there

If all is well when you start Word, then,

If you know a document that causes the problem, open it
If not, work until the problem appears

Then

Go to the Tools Templates and AddIns dialog again
At the top it will show the Document Template
Make a note of it and come back here.

--
Enjoy,
Tony

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

paragraph
style.
See
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customization/DefParaFont.htm

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Michael Michael is offline

I identified Normal.mjd.dot as being the cause of the problem because
Normal.mjd.dot was the document template in the problematic document, whereas
Normal was the document template in the new Word document.

The problematic document, I introduced Normal.mjd.dot trying to get back to
normality.

When I start Word (with a new empty document) my AutoText All Entries are
correct I copied and pasted all my customized auto text entries and set the
toolbar up.

I have not made any alterations since my last post as I am awaiting your
instructions.

When you rename Normal.dot is it alright to name as Normal.mjd.dot ?

--

"Michael" wrote in message
Normal is inserted below "Document Template and Automatically
update
document
styles" is ticked/checked (please explain your meaning of
"insertion
point")
in the bottom section "Global templates and add-ins checked
items
are
currently loaded" this box is unchecked and has Normal.mjd.dot
(if I

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans Tony Jollans is offline

Now I begin to understand. To solve a problem you renamed your normal.dot
and then created a document based on the renamed template - or you attached
the renamed template to a document previously based on a different one.

If the document(s) based on normal.mjd.dot is/are important then (re-)attach
the originl template (or normal.dot) to it. If not just delete it. Once you
have done this (to all affected documents) normal.mjd.dot (and the dupliate
autotexts) shouldn't bother you any more.

Now, normal.mjd.dot may contain all sorts of customizations you may want to
keep (and copy back to your new Normal.dot at some point in the future). If
you are sure it doesn't then you can delete it. If not you can just leave it
where it is although I would agree with Suzanne that renaming it as
Normal.old would be a good idea - it makes it slightly clearer what it is
and makes it less likely that you will use it accidentally (although it will
still be a Word template and Word will still be able to work with it if you
insist).

If you want to delete normal.mjd.dot, I presume you know where it is - as
you renamed it before. If not, the default location (for where it started
life as normal.dot) on XP is:

C:\Documents and Settings\(userid)\Application data\Microsoft\Templates

and on Vista it is:

C:\Users\(userid)\Appdata\Roaming\Microsoft\Templa tes

If you can't find it in this location, look in Word under Tools Options
File Locations for the folder given for User Templates.

--
Enjoy,
Tony