Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul Paul is offline

Default The disk is full. Free some space on this drive..."

I get this message in Word 2003, Windows XP, whenever I try to save.
Much surfing on the web and usenet didn't turn up the cause. It
turns out that the problem was the existing of a piddly little macro
in the document, a throw-away macro that I recorded more than two
years ago to simplify the repetitive keystrokes in finding occurances
of text throughout the document, and applying a format modification.
Why the symptom decided to rear its head now, I'll likely never know.

Hopefully, capturing this on a newsgroup will save millions of people
years of their collective lives that they will never get back again.
For all I know, it may not be the root cause, but it does allow saving
again (for the time being).

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul Paul is offline

In the VB editor's project navigator pane, it shows up under:

Project(TheWordFileName)-Modules-NewMacros

The code is:

Sub Macro1()
'
' Macro1 Macro
' Macro recorded 16/08/2007 by TheUserWhoShallNotBeNamed
'
Selection.EndKey Unit:=wdLine
Selection.Find.Execute
Selection.EndKey Unit:=wdLine, Extend:=wdExtend
Selection.Style = ActiveDocument.Styles
("SomeCorporateTemplateStyleWhichShallNotBeName d")
Selection.MoveRight Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=1
Selection.MoveLeft Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=1, Extend:=wdExtend
Selection.TypeText Text:=Chr(11)
Selection.MoveLeft Unit:=wdCharacter, Count:=1
Selection.HomeKey Unit:=wdLine, Extend:=wdExtend
Selection.Font.Underline = wdUnderlineSingle
End Sub

This code wasn't actually executed for years, so I'm at a loss as to
why it would cause a probem now, especially since I was able to save
changes to the document yesterday.

To complicate things even further, I revised the document, printed it
to a PDF, and tried unsuccessfully to save again (same error).

On Dec 10, 10:50*am, Paul wrote:
I get this message in Word 2003, Windows XP, whenever I try to save.
Much *surfing on the web and usenet didn't turn up the cause. *It
turns out that the problem was the existing of a piddly little macro
in the document, a throw-away macro that I recorded more than two
years ago to simplify the repetitive keystrokes in finding occurances
of text throughout the document, and applying a format modification.
Why the symptom decided to rear its head now, I'll likely never know.

Hopefully, capturing this on a newsgroup will save millions of people
years of their collective lives that they will never get back again.
For all I know, it may not be the root cause, but it does allow saving
again (for the time being).

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul Paul is offline

Further to the details below, if I open the document (which was saved
with macros deleted), I am still warned that the document contains
macros. I can choose to Enable or Disable the macros. I chose to
Enable them, but when I looked in the macro player, there are no
macros associated with the document. Very, very confusing.

On Dec 10, 10:50*am, Paul wrote:
I get this message in Word 2003, Windows XP, whenever I try to save.
Much *surfing on the web and usenet didn't turn up the cause. *It
turns out that the problem was the existing of a piddly little macro
in the document, a throw-away macro that I recorded more than two
years ago to simplify the repetitive keystrokes in finding occurances
of text throughout the document, and applying a format modification.
Why the symptom decided to rear its head now, I'll likely never know.

Hopefully, capturing this on a newsgroup will save millions of people
years of their collective lives that they will never get back again.
For all I know, it may not be the root cause, but it does allow saving
again (for the time being).

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The macro you have posted would not run by itself, so alone is not the cause
of the problem.
If the document was not open in Word, then it is no more capable of
interfering with the operation of Windows applications than this message.
What the problem with this document is is hard to say from the information
provided, but you need to look elsewhere for the problem.
http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm then
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...artingWord.htm or
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/921541 might be a start.

On Dec 10, 10:50 am, Paul wrote:
I get this message in Word 2003, Windows XP, whenever I try to save.
Much surfing on the web and usenet didn't turn up the cause. It
turns out that the problem was the existing of a piddly little macro
in the document, a throw-away macro that I recorded more than two
years ago to simplify the repetitive keystrokes in finding occurances
of text throughout the document, and applying a format modification.
Why the symptom decided to rear its head now, I'll likely never know.

Hopefully, capturing this on a newsgroup will save millions of people
years of their collective lives that they will never get back again.
For all I know, it may not be the root cause, but it does allow saving
again (for the time being).

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul Paul is offline

Thanks, Graham.