iwriter iwriter is offline
Junior Member

Default word 2000 or 2002 with vista...

I just bought a new computer and was wondering if I can put word 2000 or 2002 on it? It now has vista premium and before it had xp...2000 worked well with XP...not many problems...but I have heard horror stories about 2000 and 2002 with vista...likewise I have heard horror stories about 2007 word not being able to be recognized on some other machines. I have also heard from some people that they can get good results with vista and word 2000 and 2002....

If any one can tell me how to sort thru all this, I would very much appreciate it. I am almost considering taking my computer back and just upgrading what I have and keeping XP...but If I completely upgrade my computer will I have to buy another version of XP....? So sorry to bug you all with this...but I am trying to sort all this out asap....so I can get on with life...LOL....
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Both Word 2000 and 2002 will work with Vista, but 2000 is no longer
supported by Microsoft and 2002 frankly was not one of their better
efforts - even though it is included with the Works Suite.

iwriter wrote:
I just bought a new computer and was wondering if I can put word 2000
or 2002 on it? It now has vista premium and before it had xp...2000
worked well with XP...not many problems...but I have heard horror
stories about 2000 and 2002 with vista...likewise I have heard
horror stories about 2007 word not being able to be recognized on
some other machines. I have also heard from some people that they can
get good results with vista and word 2000 and 2002....

If any one can tell me how to sort thru all this, I would very much
appreciate it. I am almost considering taking my computer back and
just upgrading what I have and keeping XP...but If I completely
upgrade my computer will I have to buy another version of XP....? So
sorry to bug you all with this...but I am trying to sort all this out
asap....so I can get on with life...LOL....

iwriter iwriter is offline
Junior Member

Thanks very much for your prompt reply. It was really helpful...
What about word 2003? Is it better than 2002?

I already have word 2000 from my last computer. I was also wondering can I put that on my new vista computer? If not ...if I rebuild my current computer and take the vista one back....by rebuild I mean put in a new hard drive, new pci express motherboard and new processor...can I use my word 2000?

thanks in advance for your help....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham Mayor View Post

iwriter wrote:
I just bought a new computer and was wondering if I can put word 2000
or 2002 on it? It now has vista premium and before it had xp...2000
worked well with XP...not many problems...but I have heard horror
stories about 2000 and 2002 with vista...likewise I have heard
horror stories about 2007 word not being able to be recognized on
some other machines. I have also heard from some people that they can
get good results with vista and word 2000 and 2002....

If any one can tell me how to sort thru all this, I would very much
appreciate it. I am almost considering taking my computer back and
just upgrading what I have and keeping XP...but If I completely
upgrade my computer will I have to buy another version of XP....? So
sorry to bug you all with this...but I am trying to sort all this out
asap....so I can get on with life...LOL....
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Arguably Word 2003 was the best of the bunch. If you already have a copy
then by all means install it. If not there is no point buying more software
until you know exactly what you need. Either of the versions you quoted
earlier will work.

iwriter wrote:-
I just bought a new computer and was wondering if I can put word 2000
or 2002 on it? It now has vista premium and before it had xp...2000
worked well with XP...not many problems...but I have heard horror
stories about 2000 and 2002 with vista...likewise I have heard
horror stories about 2007 word not being able to be recognized on
some other machines. I have also heard from some people that they can
get good results with vista and word 2000 and 2002....

If any one can tell me how to sort thru all this, I would very much
appreciate it. I am almost considering taking my computer back and
just upgrading what I have and keeping XP...but If I completely
upgrade my computer will I have to buy another version of XP....? So
sorry to bug you all with this...but I am trying to sort all this out
asap....so I can get on with life...LOL.... -

iwriter iwriter is offline
Junior Member

thanks I decided to try just that....and it seems to be working so far...The word 2000 after downloading all the service packs from microsoft seems to be working fairly well.....

thanks again for your help...