Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ursula A. Ursula A. is offline

Default Template keeps changing measurement units, Word 2003

Hi,

We are mystified by the fact that our word template keeps changing when
documents are sent to different receipients. When the documents are returned
to us, the formating often is changed. For example the options of the
measurement units change from centimeters to pixels.

what is a reliable way to safeguard that our template formating does not
change every now and then?
--
Many thanks, and have a good day
Ursula A.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Default units are solely the choice of the user logged into Word. You cannot
dictate that everyone uses your preferences.

However, are you sure that you are seeing pixels (points or picas but not
pixels)? If someone has Asian Languages enabled it will have changed to the
units that are used for laying out Asian Languages.

The only way to stop Word documents or templates from changing when on
another users computer is to use PDF.

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"Ursula A." wrote in message
news
Hi,

We are mystified by the fact that our word template keeps changing when
documents are sent to different receipients. When the documents are
returned
to us, the formating often is changed. For example the options of the
measurement units change from centimeters to pixels.

what is a reliable way to safeguard that our template formating does not
change every now and then?
--
Many thanks, and have a good day
Ursula A.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Ursula A. Ursula A. is offline

Thanks, and of course its not pixel, but points

So this means that the settings of a word document that is sent around to
different people outside our office in word form can change with each user
depending on the settings on their pc, and comes back to me basically with
the settings of the last user.

What I cannot understand that this causes the normal.dot on my pc to be
influenced and changed by the preference of another. Is that really how it
works?

--

"Ursula A." wrote in message
news
Hi,

We are mystified by the fact that our word template keeps changing when
documents are sent to different receipients. When the documents are
returned
to us, the formating often is changed. For example the options of the
measurement units change from centimeters to pixels.

what is a reliable way to safeguard that our template formating does not
change every now and then?
--
Many thanks, and have a good day
Ursula A.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

It should only affect the view of that document and should not affect your
normal.dot or other important settings unless something else is at work. For
example, if you have set defaults to automatically detect languages and one
of the users has used a different language and saved it to the document,
when it comes back, Word will detect that language and switch to it. Also,
Word documents tend to open in the view they were saved in - so that may
open differently than your default.

So check that your language settings are not set to Automatically Detect,
remove unwanted installed languages if possible and check that none of the
many other settings - particularly styles - are set to Automatically Update.

Terry