Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
W. Watson

Default Text Box Stall in Word 2003 (Office)--Error Report

(I was going to post the following, but have solved the problem in something
of any atypical way. Maybe what happened will be useful to someone else.)

Problem:
I have about 10 canvas boxes in my doc. Recently, any attempt to put a text
box in the canvas has met with Word stalling. I can draw the text box, but
when I release the box, it produces the crosshair and an hour glass. The
only want I can get out is to close the window. This happens if I create a
new canvas too. If I create a new doc, then it works properly. Do I have
something turned on by accident that would prevent drawing text boxes?
Solution:
I decided to wait out the hang for maybe 10 minutes, and eventually a MS Win
dialog appeared. The problem had been corrected. Perhaps because I was
connected to the internet it found out what to do to correct Word.) It
presented me with some choices about saving the repaired version. One of
which was an error report, which I did submit. It wasn't entirely clear how
to proceed with saving doc file choices presented to me, but I seem to have
succeeded. Eventually, when I tried to save, I was directed to an update of
Office and Word. I will pursue it. I'm sure I only have Office 2003 SP 1,
and SP 2 is available. I can go that route or just pick up the changes for
Word. It all seems reasonable, so I'll pursue the update as is appropriate
for me. I test the 'new' doc and it no longer seems to have the problem
mentioned above.

"When you think about it, electricity is
really just organized lightning." -- George Carlin

Web Page: home.earthlink.net/~mtnviews