Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Sarah G Sarah G is offline

Default Data Source Lost When Merge From Access to Word

I have an Access database that I want to use to merge data into Word
documents that I have already set up. The database and the files are located
in the same file on a server that others can access. The merges have been
working fine for me, since I created them, but they do not work the same way
for others. When they open a Word merge file and select Yes to run the
corresponding SQL command, they get another message saying the database
connection was lost. Then, they have to go through a whole set of screens to
re-establish the connection. And then, sometimes when they click the Mail
Merge Recipients button, an error message appers that says there is no
corresponding data or the connection was lost. I don't see any of this, and
I don't know how to fix it.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I replied to your earlier question a couple of days ago but I guess you
didn't see the answer.

Which version of Word?

Are all the users using the same path to access the documents, or are some
of them using (say) a network path mapped to a drive letter?

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

"Sarah G" wrote in message
I have an Access database that I want to use to merge data into Word
documents that I have already set up. The database and the files are
located
in the same file on a server that others can access. The merges have been
working fine for me, since I created them, but they do not work the same
way
for others. When they open a Word merge file and select Yes to run the
corresponding SQL command, they get another message saying the database
connection was lost. Then, they have to go through a whole set of screens
re-establish the connection. And then, sometimes when they click the Mail
Merge Recipients button, an error message appers that says there is no
corresponding data or the connection was lost. I don't see any of this,
and
I don't know how to fix it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Sarah G Sarah G is offline

Sorry. I haven't been able to see my post. We are all using Word 2002, and
we are all accessing the merge files and database through a network drive P:\
None of the files have changed, renamed, or moved from that drive.

"Sarah G" wrote in message
I have an Access database that I want to use to merge data into Word
documents that I have already set up. The database and the files are
located
in the same file on a server that others can access. The merges have been
working fine for me, since I created them, but they do not work the same
way
for others. When they open a Word merge file and select Yes to run the
corresponding SQL command, they get another message saying the database
connection was lost. Then, they have to go through a whole set of screens
re-establish the connection. And then, sometimes when they click the Mail
Merge Recipients button, an error message appers that says there is no
corresponding data or the connection was lost. I don't see any of this,
and
I don't know how to fix it.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Can you do the following on
a. your PC
b. one of the other PCs

1. Open the mail merge main document. Go through any steps necessary to
connect to the data source
2. Use "Save As" and select Save As Type "Web Page".
3. Close the document
4. locate the .htm file you just saved and open it in Notepad
5. Look down the file until you see a block of info. that looks like it
contains the info. related to the merge (in WOrd 2003 it currently looks a
bit like the following. In Word 2002 I think the names etc. are rather
different, but it should stil lbe reasonably obvious which bit describes the
data source):

w:MailMergeMainDocTypeFormLetters/w:MailMergeMainDocType
w:MailMergeLinkToQuery/
w:MailMergeDefaultSQL/
w:MailMergeQueryStringSELECT * FROM C:\Documents and Settings\PeterJ\My
Documents\My Data Sources\Kt.doc/w:MailMergeQueryString
w:MailMergeDataSource
HRef="C:\Documents and Settings\PeterJ\My Documents\My Data
Sources\Kt.doc"/w:MailMergeDataSource
w:Odso
w:Table:\Documents and Settings\PeterJ\My Documents\My Data
Sources\Kt.do/w:Table
w:SrcC:\...\Kt.doc/w:Src

6. Copy paste that chunk of HTML into a message in thsi group. You should
only need to copy/paste (say) 10 lines maximum.

Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

news

"Sarah G" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Sarah G Sarah G is offline

The following is the code you asked for from my login account. I was unable
to save a web page from the other person's account as it created an error. I
think the problem is with security settings in the database itself, although
I don't know why that should effect merging data.

w:MailMergeMainDocTypeMailingLabels/w:MailMergeMainDocType
w:MailMergeLinkToQuery/
w:MailMergeDataTypeODSO/w:MailMergeDataType

w:MailMergeConnectStringProvider=Microsoft.Jet.O LEDB.4.0;Password="";User
ID=Admin;Data Source=P:\MastMail\dbBiState Mastermail.mdb;Mode=Read;Extended
Properties="";Jet OLEDB:System database="";Jet OLEDB:Registry Path="";Jet
OLEDBatabase Password="";Jet OLEDB:Engine Type=5;Jet OLEDBatabase Locking
Mode=0;Jet OLEDB:Global Partial Bulk Ops=2;Jet OLEDB:Global Bulk
Transactions=1;Jet OLEDB:New Database Password="";Jet OLEDB:Create System
Database=False;Jet OLEDB:Encrypt Database=False;Jet OLEDBon't Copy Locale
on Compact=False;Jet OLEDB:Compact Without Replica Repair=False;Jet
OLEDB:SFP=False/w:MailMergeConnectString
w:MailMergeQueryStringSELECT * FROM `qryCEDS` /w:MailMergeQueryString
w:MailMergeDataSource HRef="P:\MastMail\dbBiState
Mastermail.mdb"/w:MailMergeDataSource
w:Odso
w:UdlProvider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Password=" ";User ID=Admin;Data
Source=P:\MastMail\dbBiState Mastermail.mdb;Mode=Read;Extended
Properties="";Jet OLEDB:System database="";Jet OLEDB:Registry Path="";Jet
OLEDBatabase Password="";Jet OLEDB:Engine Type=5;Jet OLEDBatabase Locking
Mode=0;Jet OLEDB:Global Partial Bulk Ops=2;Jet OLEDB:Global Bulk
Transactions=1;Jet OLEDB:New Database Password="";Jet OLEDB:Create System
Database=False;Jet OLEDB:Encrypt Database=False;Jet OLEDBon't Copy Locale
on Compact=False;Jet OLEDB:Compact Without Replica Repair=False;Jet
OLEDB:SFP=False/w:Udl
w:TableqryCEDS/w:Table
w:SrcP:\MastMail\dbBiState Mastermail.mdb/w:Src
w:FieldMapData

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

OK, I was obviously hoping to compare the two, but there is certainly
nothing unexpected in there.

think the problem is with security settings in the database itself,
although
I don't know why that should effect merging data.

That could well be the case The thing that doesn't quite add up is if they
are managing to make the connection /eventually/. If it is a
security-related problem then you have to consider
a. what permissions people have to access the folder containing the .mdb
and and .mdw you may have
b. what permissions people have to access the share that P: is mapped to
c. whether you have an Access database password or workgroup level security
(with a .mdw) and what permissions the users have for the objects in the
database that the query uses
d. if you are using linked tables, what permissions the users have to
access the underlying tables.

Not sure if that gives you anything that can help you get any further, but
perhaps some of the possibilities can be eliminated.
--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

news