Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Wander88 Wander88 is offline

Default Word 2007 - Normal.dotm and tabs on bar reordering themselves?

Has anyone had a problem with Word 2007 where when you first open Word 2007,
the tabs (on ribbon bar) are in one order, but then each subsequent doc that
is created or opened, the tab order changes? We do have additional plug-ins
(Legal MacPac, Workshare and Metadata) which are probably causing this but
we're having trouble isolating the problem.

Just thought I'd toss this out to see if anybody out there has had a similar
problem and found a solution.
thank you!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?V2FuZGVyODg=?=,

Has anyone had a problem with Word 2007 where when you first open Word 2007,
the tabs (on ribbon bar) are in one order, but then each subsequent doc that
is created or opened, the tab order changes? We do have additional plug-ins
(Legal MacPac, Workshare and Metadata) which are probably causing this but
we're having trouble isolating the problem.

It's almost certainly something going on with these add-ins.

By design, the Office Ribbon is supposed to be completely stable. And the
Guidelines for Developers emphasize that it is not recommended to change the
order of tabs, or of groups on the tabs.

This is a conscious design change from the "adaptive menus" introduced back in
Office 97 or 2000 that could change, depending on how often a command was used.
Statistics showed that users did not appreciate things "moving around".

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hello Cindy

Cindy M. wrote:
[..]
By design, the Office Ribbon is supposed to be completely stable. And the
Guidelines for Developers emphasize that it is not recommended to change the
order of tabs, or of groups on the tabs.

This is a conscious design change from the "adaptive menus" introduced back in
Office 97 or 2000 that could change, depending on how often a command was used.
Statistics showed that users did not appreciate things "moving around".

and I could name at least one who's still irritated at times by the
Ribbon acting as an "adaptive menu" itself (since it switches with
context :-)).

Greetinx
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jobra Han Jobra Han is offline

What to do if not only the ribbon is reordering itself, but parts of the
ribbon disappear. After a crash of powerpoint2007 the tab 'Format'
disappeared and the ribbon is so stable that untill now I cannot get this tab
back.
--
Jobra Han

"Wander88" wrote:

Has anyone had a problem with Word 2007 where when you first open Word 2007,
the tabs (on ribbon bar) are in one order, but then each subsequent doc that
is created or opened, the tab order changes? We do have additional plug-ins
(Legal MacPac, Workshare and Metadata) which are probably causing this but
we're having trouble isolating the problem.

Just thought I'd toss this out to see if anybody out there has had a similar
problem and found a solution.
thank you!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Jobra Han,

Have you run Office 2007 Diagnostics?
Start=Programs=Microsoft Office=Microsoft Office Tools?

If you start Word or Powerpoint in safe mode (hold control key while starting either app) do you have the same issue? If not, then
it can be an add in that is modifying the ribbon.

==============
"Jobra Han" jobrahan at yahoo dot co dot uk wrote in message ...
What to do if not only the ribbon is reordering itself, but parts of the
ribbon disappear. After a crash of powerpoint2007 the tab 'Format'
disappeared and the ribbon is so stable that untill now I cannot get this tab
back.
--
Jobra Han
--