Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Russell

Default How do I set merge fields in headers?

I want to put a field from my filtered data source (the same data appears for
each record in the selection) in a heading of my merge document (i.e., the
course title for a list of registrants).

How do I do that?

Thanks.

rlk
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

Just open the Header and Footer pane (ViewHeaders and Footers) and insert
it.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Russell" wrote in message
I want to put a field from my filtered data source (the same data appears
for
each record in the selection) in a heading of my merge document (i.e., the
course title for a list of registrants).

How do I do that?

Thanks.

rlk

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

What kind of merge? You are going to have problems if this is a
directory/catalog type merge where several records are on the same page.

Russell wrote:
I want to put a field from my filtered data source (the same data
appears for each record in the selection) in a heading of my merge
document (i.e., the course title for a list of registrants).

How do I do that?

Thanks.

rlk

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Russell

Graham--

Yes, it is a directory (catalog, list of several records on one page under a
header).

I thought since I was placing a field (which contained the same data for
each of the records) in the header, that would over come the problems.
Obviously it didn't work else I wouldn't be here.

Do you know of any workaround to accomplish a multi-page document listing
multiple records but having the same header on all of the pages printing data
from the data source?

My example is a listing of registrants for the same course whose title,
date, time, location, etc. appear in the header for each page where the page
may list several different registrants.

Thanks for your help.

--Russell

Russell wrote:
I want to put a field from my filtered data source (the same data
appears for each record in the selection) in a heading of my merge
document (i.e., the course title for a list of registrants).

How do I do that?

Thanks.

rlk

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

What you are trying to do is a a "multiple items per condition (=key
field)" mailmerge, which Word does not really have the ability to perform.

See the "Group Multiple items for a single condition" item on fellow MVP
Cindy Meister's website at

http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...faq1.htm#DBPic

Or take a look at the following Knowledge Base Article

How to Work Around Duplicate Names in Mail Merge Data

Or, if you create a Catalog (on in Word XP and later, it's called Directory)
type mailmerge main document with the mergefields in the cells of a one row
table in the mailmerge main document with the keyfield in the first cell in
the row and then execute that merge to a new document and then run the
following macro, it will create separate tables with the records for each
key field in them. With a bit of further development, you may be able to
get it to do what you want.

' Macro to create multiple items per condition in separate tables from a
directory type mailmerge

Dim source As Document, target As Document, scat As Range, tcat As Range
Dim data As Range, stab As Table, ttab As Table
Dim i As Long, j As Long, k As Long, n As Long
Set source = ActiveDocument
Set target = Documents.Add
Set stab = source.Tables(1)
k = stab.Columns.Count
Set ttab = target.Tables.Add(Range:=Selection.Range, numrows:=1,
numcolumns:=k - 1)
Set scat = stab.Cell(1, 1).Range
scat.End = scat.End - 1
ttab.Cell(1, 1).Range = scat
j = ttab.Rows.Count
For i = 1 To stab.Rows.Count
Set tcat = ttab.Cell(j, 1).Range
tcat.End = tcat.End - 1
Set scat = stab.Cell(i, 1).Range
scat.End = scat.End - 1
If scat tcat Then
ttab.Rows.Add
j = ttab.Rows.Count
ttab.Cell(j, 1).Range = scat
ttab.Cell(j, 1).Range.Paragraphs(1).PageBreakBefore = True
ttab.Rows.Add
ttab.Cell(j + 1, 1).Range.Paragraphs(1).PageBreakBefore = False
For n = 2 To k
Set data = stab.Cell(i, n).Range
data.End = data.End - 1
ttab.Cell(ttab.Rows.Count, n - 1).Range = data
Next n
Else
ttab.Rows.Add
For n = 2 To k
Set data = stab.Cell(i, n).Range
data.End = data.End - 1
ttab.Cell(ttab.Rows.Count, n - 1).Range = data
Next n
End If
Next i

--

Russell wrote:
I want to put a field from my filtered data source (the same data
appears for each record in the selection) in a heading of my merge
document (i.e., the course title for a list of registrants).

How do I do that?

Thanks.

rlk

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

You can use a fixed text header that doesn't take the information from the
data file (which if the information is constant shouldn't be a problem) or
you can merge to a new document and add it later. See also the link in
Doug's reply.