Help Please

Default Inserting symbols into a protected text form field

I am trying to insert a symbol into a protected text form field. I understand
that once a form is "protected" (locked), you do not have access to the
commands listed in the "Insert" menu. I created several shortcuts for the
symbol that I would like to use but nothing works. There are several shortcut
keys that will insert a symbol into a protected text form field such as the
degree symbol (Alt+0186), the plus-minus symbol (Alt+0177), etc... I have
tried to create a shortcut using the "Alt" key but it will not allow me to. I
am trying to insert the "centerline" symbol found in the Lucida Sans Unicode
font, under the subset of "Letterlike Symbols." The symbol looks like the
letter "C," with the letter "L" on top. It is the fifth symbol found in
Lucida Sans Unicode\Letterlike Symbols and I am using Microsoft Word 2000. I
need to be able to use this symbol while entering information into the
fields. Any help would be greatly appreciated.