Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
seasider seasider is offline

Default Word producing 'Unknown error...'

I have a user who when they Open, Print or Close certain .DOT files they
recieve the message "Unknown error returned from application. Error caught at
[file Connect.cpp, line 710], operation canceled. Contact technical support
if this error persists". The line number changes depending on Open Close or
Print.

They also get two floating toolbars opened, one is 'Control Toolbox' the
other is 'Design mode'. All is fine if they click OK in the message dialogue
then close the two toolbars, but the user needs to send these templates to
the production environment which they can't do while these messages are being
produced.

The content of the .DOT file has "" and "" as field delimiters but it's
not a mail merge document, could this be the cause.

I have tried deleting the Normal.dot file but doesn't make any difference.

Any help would be great.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?c2Vhc2lkZXI=?=,

It would help if you include the version information when you ask questions.

This sounds like a third-party add-in, not part of the Word application. Quite
likely, these templates contain ActiveX controls and macro code that aren't
clearing macro security. Where did the user get these templates from? You should
check with the manufacturer of the templates what they contain, then decide
whether you want to allow Word to trust them.

[...]

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
seasider seasider is offline

Hi Cindy,

Many thanks for your reply.

The software is MS Office 2003 pro.

I have checked and the user made these .DOT files herself and there is no
VBA code in there at all. I have Opened, Closed and Printed the files and
opened them as templates and as documents from those templates without any
trouble on my PC.

This seems to narrow down the problem to the Users PC but quite where the
problem would be given I have already refreshed the Normal.DOT file...

"Cindy M." wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cindy M. Cindy M. is offline

Hi ?B?c2Vhc2lkZXI=?=,

The content of the .DOT file has "" and "" as field delimiters but it's
not a mail merge document, could this be the cause.

If you press Alt+F9 what field codes show up?